I wish i had something to show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

OK first of all i have to thank alphageek for the kit. But, sorry i couldnt make a awesome pen out of this kit, cause it doesnt have the right parts, as you can see i have put it all together following the directions. I have never made a fountain pen, put its pretty much the same as a rollerball. I have no idea what the rubber o rings are for. And i think the directions are crap, because it doesnt say witch end to put the cap, obviously i put it on the wrong side. The directions do not specify whether to put it on the fat end or skinny end. Also the kit didnt have a spring in it, and it missing a coupler or something. So sorry alphageek that i couldnt make this in to a awesome pen =( Does anyone know where i could get springs? because i know i am going to lose them in the future. Anyway i wish this could turned out better, but i got to do some turning.

Attachments

• IMG_20110520_221956.jpg
    IMG_20110520_221956.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 333
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I'm not an expert on fountain pens. Well not an expert at anything really. If you put it together in the wrong end, you should be able to take it apart and redo it right. I am sure someone here will let you know how. As for the instructions, I know that some of these kits need some extra explaining, which again I am sure someone here will be willing to help you with. You might also do a search for this design or there might be a turorial in the library. Hope things turn out better for you on your next adventure.

Was that a pun?
Curt

Dan_F

James --- I don't know that kit, but it looks like all you are missing is a way to fit the center band on the cap. Fountain pens don't have springs, nothing for them to do. :) I hope someone familiar with that kit can give you some guidance, looks like it will eventually make a nice pen. Not sure about the 0 rings either, I have never used them on a fountain pen. Usually the cap is the fatter piece, the barrel of the pen is the skinny one.

Dan

Last edited:

Craftdiggity

James,

It kind of looks like a Classic American kit. If that is the case, you might need to part an eigth off of the upper barrel down to the tube and press the center band on. Then you should have a complete pen. The O rings might be for where the two barrels thread together???

Let us know what the kit is and we might could help you figger it out.

azamiryou

Do you have a punch set or other disassembly tools? The O-rings go between the couplers and the barrel, so you'll have to get the couplers off to put them where they belong.

I'm not familiar with the kit, but if by "i put it on the wrong side" you mean the clip is assembled to the wrong end of the cap, that's easily punched out so you can put it together correctly. With the parts removed, you can put it back on the lathe to part off the bit you need to for the center band.

If you don't have disassembly tools yet, set it aside until you do. This pen can totally be saved!

witz1976

Chris has your answer.

Here is a link to the instuctions

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKPAR-FCEG_ins.pdf

+1 to these directions. Unfortunately you will need to use a punch to disassemble the cap, throw it on the lathe and part off the 1/8" of wood to press on the centerband. As for the O rings, you can also slip them over the threads and they will seat themselves, it is a cheap way to prevent the cap from unscrewing itself off the pen.

Looks good so far, good luck finishing it!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Yep.. those are the right instructions... And everyone else has given you good tips.

That being said - remember my warning when I sent you that kit and bushings - it was from my 'beginner' days (and I didn't like it). I didn't like that kit and sent it to you because you asked specifically about it. I think you'll find that the other fun stuff I dropped in the box were way better than this kit.

Spring for a fountain pen? :cool: Sorry but thats kinda funny.

Now... Once you get it done - I'm afraid your pen may way outdo the hardware. I wasn't impressed with the plating quality either. Do yourself a favor and the next time you want to do a fountain pen try a Jr Gent II.

Dean

crabcreekind

Yea next time am going to get jr gent fountain pens, also i noticed that even though the parts had been in the bag they were all chipped up on the black stuff, And my instructions showed it had a spring on it, but i thought that was wierd.. but now i know

IPD_Mr

James the important part you are learning. No matter what your age, we all seem to learn better from mistakes that we make. You will also will find that these types of mistakes help us to learn how something works.

Top Bottom