Sterling and Malachite (kitless)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from azamiryou

azamiryou

7mm twist pen in walnut with solid sterling nose, centerband, and clip/finial with real malachite cabs in the clip. The nose is by Michael Redurn, the centerband and clip are by me.

This is my first "success" at silversmithing parts for a pen, so it's far from perfect. Nevertheless, I'm kind of proud of it.:redface: I'm going to give it to my father as a thank-you for teaching me to work with silver; maybe he can stick it to the fridge with a magnet or something. :)

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

This is my first "success" at silversmithing parts for a pen, so it's far from perfect. Nevertheless, I'm kind of proud of it.:redface: I'm going to give it to my father as a thank-you for teaching me to work with silver; maybe he can stick it to the fridge with a magnet or something.

That is a terrific start. Very, very nice.

Last edited:

bitshird

Beautiful Sculpting of the clip and center band, it made a beautiful combination wit the wood, David Broadwell better watch behind himself.

azamiryou

I too really really like that clip. Is it 1 piece with the final? It looks very solid and heavy duty. Also like the green malachite cabs.

Thanks. Yes, the clip is "effectively" one piece with the finial. Basically, it's all made from separate pieces of sheet stock cut, shaped, and soldered together.

If the soldering is done right, the joints should be as strong as the metal. If not, then the clip might fall off some day. Only time will tell.:tongue:

PenMan1

Dude! This is one of the better things I've seen here in a long, long, time. You need to buy some micro mesh and learn CA finish and you are on the way to the top!!!!!!

Totally original, totally distinctive, Excellent design, excellent execution. SUPERB WOW factor!!! This is 9 pads away from GREATNESS!

BRAVO!!!!

IPD_Mr

Although you call it far from perfect, the design is awesome. It is original and it is yours. Nobody can take that away from you. Very nice job. I like it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thats a really really great start Matt. You have good positive/ negative space in your design, the splash of color of the malachite is perfect. Now all you need is practice and that means making more pens.:biggrin: And Thats not a bad thing.:biggrin:

bluwolf

Very nice. You should be proud. Can you explain what I think I'm seeing? On the centerband, it looks like two colors. It's a really nice effect. Again, well done.

azamiryou

Can you explain what I think I'm seeing? On the centerband, it looks like two colors. It's a really nice effect.

The black is oxidation. It doesn't show up as well in the photos, but the "back" layer on the clip is the same. You can chemically oxidize silver - I used selenium film toner.

wizard

Matthew, That is an awesome looking pen. It is a beautiful piece of work as a silversmith. The pen has beautiful aesthetics. The fluid feeling of overlap and semblance of the centerband and the clip is very creative. The oxidation gives it a antique look which goes together with the darker wood. The cabochons finish it off with a regal look. Thank you so much for showing. Doc
P.S. Of one thing I am certain. That pen is not!!!! going to end up on a fridge!!

IPD_Mrs

WOW - seriously you think that should go on the fridge as a magnet? OK... send it this way and I will "put it on my fridge" :rolleyes:

Love the clip and centerband - it is unique and I personally am a big "malachite" fan so you had me from the start with that!

(now I'm not a big fan of walnut - but it still looks great, so even that I can't really complain about and Mike will tell you that's hard to accomplish :biggrin:)

Top Bottom