I think I'm turning Casein, I think I'm turning Casein, I really think so

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Geophyrd

Hi all,

Managed to get ahold of two very lovely blanks of casein this week. What I'm wondering is whether to use CA as a sealer once I'm done cutting and polishing them. I've heard Casein can pickup finger marks as permanent stains. But whenever I have used CA with acrylic it always looks less than satisfactory...

So anyone with experience, please let me know. Should I use CA to seal the material, something else or leave it alone once cut and polished?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

There was a discussion on this some time ago and most thought it was unnecessary to put CA on it. I did not on the one pen I made out of it.

PenMan1

I make quite a few casein pens and I never put a finish over the product. I have never had staining or fingerprint issues and IMHO, ANY finish over this beautiful and historically relevant product would simply dimish it's natural beauty.

Respectfully submitted.

PenMan1

I just sanded thru 12000 and polished. Looks good and no fingerprints. I didn't hold it after eating wings though.

LOL! I'm working on
Photographing a casein pen and a faux casein side by side, so that the IAP can guess which is which.

If you will donate, say 50 hot wings to the cause, I'll gladly conduct the testing:)

Top Bottom