I got a Grizzly G8688 7x12 Metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

SO I got the metal lathe- been wanting to do this for a long time! Here is the problem. I know almost nothing about metal lathes!
So any tips, tricks, video sources etc would be greatly appreciated!!
Those who use metal lathe for pen turning - what cutters do you use?

Thanks folks!
IMG_4421.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

Congrats. I started out with this lathe and made many pens on it: a good portion of those being reasonably complex. This lathe will serve you well. One upgrade I would make ASAP is a quick change tool post. Little machine shop sells them, and they are a godsend. this one should be compatible with your lathe.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Keith. This will help you get started also.

To go along with the QCTP John has posted, you can look for a set of Indexable turning tools on ebay to save some bucks. Otherwise LMS has a set for $150.00 LMS is a good source for all your metal lathe needs. But then so is ebay.

magpens

@keithbyrd - CONGRATULATIONS on your new lathe !!! . . . You are going to have MUCH FUN with it !! . A Sieg lathe by the looks . . like mine !

I do NOT recommend buying the multi-shaped cutter sets that are commonly sold in a variety pack by some vendors -- you don't need most that are in the set - - and besides that, those variety-pack carbide cutters tend to break easily and often. . The pack may not even include a round.

I see such a set (red) in the picture you showed.

The cutting tool that I have used for 10 years (some infrequent replacements during that period) is a round carbide cutter, 11 mm diameter, supplied by Global Tooling in Portland, OR, and fitted to a straight 5/16 tool holder bar (not quite square cross section) which was made by Ken Ferrell (IAP member who I have not seen on-line for several years now).

I would suggest that you try to get Rick Herrell ( Username: rherrell ) to make a cutter like this for you, using the same Global Tooling carbide.
I order from Global Tooling by phone, as needed. . The people there are very helpful and very prompt to ship.

I use this cutter for everything I make.- "plastic", wood, aluminum and brass. . . It is a superb workhorse for pens !!!

I believe this is the cutter that I buy, as needed. . . I will check to be sure - - contact me directly for further info.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Congrats. I started out with this lathe and made many pens on it: a good portion of those being reasonably complex. This lathe will serve you well. One upgrade I would make ASAP is a quick change tool post. Little machine shop sells them, and they are a godsend. this one should be compatible with your lathe.

Thanks for the input and link!

keithbyrd

Congratulations Keith. This will help you get started also.

To go along with the QCTP John has posted, you can look for a set of Indexable turning tools on ebay to save some bucks. Otherwise LMS has a set for $150.00 LMS is a good source for all your metal lathe needs. But then so is ebay.
Thank Chuck! will do some research!

keithbyrd

@keithbyrd - CONGRATULATIONS on your new lathe !!! . . . You are going to have MUCH FUN with it !! . A Sieg lathe by the looks . . like mine !

I do NOT recommend buying the multi-shaped cutter sets that are commonly sold in a variety pack by some vendors -- you don't need most that are in the set - - and besides that, those variety-pack carbide cutters tend to break easily and often. . The pack may not even include a round.

I see such a set (red) in the picture you showed.

The cutting tool that I have used for 10 years (some infrequent replacements during that period) is a round carbide cutter, 11 mm diameter, supplied by Global Tooling in Portland, OR, and fitted to a straight 5/16 tool holder bar (not quite square cross section) which was made by Ken Ferrell (IAP member who I have not seen on-line for several years now).

I would suggest that you try to get Rick Herrell ( Username: rherrell ) to make a cutter like this for you, using the same Global Tooling carbide.
I order from Global Tooling by phone, as needed. . The people there are very helpful and very prompt to ship.

I use this cutter for everything I make.- "plastic", wood, aluminum and brass. . . It is a superb workhorse for pens !!!

I believe this is the cutter that I buy, as needed. . . I will check to be sure - - contact me directly for further info.

Thanks Mal - I appreciate the input and the links!

Dehn0045

I have found the youtube machining community to be pretty plentiful. Some of the channels that I like include: Blondihacks, oxtoolco, this old tony, mrpete222, keith rucker, abom79, joe pieczynki, woods creek workshop, frank hoose. I think most of the channels/creators will do at least some of the beginner topics, but sometimes it is fun to learn about the more advanced techniques and specialized tools to get a more well rounded understanding of the topic.

farmer

Mount a veneer trimmer on the tool post ( Live cutter ) use router bits or end mill cutting bits .
The end mills used to cut aluminum work good to.
Cutting wood ,, I use metal lathes with live cutters , I don't make any cuts that is not using a live cutter on the tool post .

I know several people who make veneer cutter mounts
1649619670162.png

1649619778660.png

Then get a indexer All this can be done with pretty much all metal or cue lathes
1649619874391.png

Don Rabchenuk

Mount a veneer trimmer on the tool post ( Live cutter ) use router bits or end mill cutting bits .
The end mills used to cut aluminum work good to.
Cutting wood ,, I use metal lathes with live cutters , I don't make any cuts that is not using a live cutter on the tool post .

I know several people who make veneer cutter mounts
Could we get a better shot of the trimmer mount please. I might like to add it to my lathe.

farmer

1649811529598.png

1649811595038.png

1649811718739.png

Which mounts you buy depends on the make of the veneer trimmer/router .
I like Ridgid but you can get Porta cable mounts to .
plus for making slotted trim rings need Dremel and a Dremel mount and a Indexer .
1649812024148.png

Indexer, the 24 holes drilled into the spindle pully
Grizzly will be different .
1649812169094.png

You should be able to make your own indexer
Make your own router mounts too .
Metal lathe is one of the only machines in the world that can make itself /
Mid American cue lathes .

Cue man billiards

Dremel mount but the dremel normally burns the slots .
1649812949648.png

1649813024123.png

1649813175721.png

Pipe inlay 12 slot trim rings
1649813238112.png

Cue inlay 24 slot with metal rings
1649813723494.png

Attachments

• 1649813393684.png
    1649813393684.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 93

Chriscb

Afternoon Keith,
Good choice on the lathe. I'm also new to the metal lathe world but a bit further on.

My essential shopping list would have been the following, if I'd got the experience then that I've got now.
A collet chuck, with ER32 collets 7mm to 20mm.
A QCP (eg Machfit 250-000but check)- from Banggood.com (available from elsewhere but at much higher cost - is it the same?). At least 8 tool holders for QTP.
Set of indexable tools - 10mm size with carbide heads. I use silver coloured inserts (designed for aluminium but great for wood and acrylic).
Set of 10mm boring bars - think of these as variable diameter drills.
Parting off QTP tool - 2mm will do fine.
Parallel clamping block (usually in pairs) - to align QTP to headstock.
Set of centre drills.
Two Jacobs chucks - one to 13mm and the other smaller to 8mm or 10mm. Why - chuck a small centre drill in the small chuck to drill a pilot hole in every piece you turn on the lathe. Saves a lot of time.
Electronic calliper gauge - no larger than 150mm (need to get into small spaces.)
Live centre with tapered nose - for support of work in collet.
Way oil - iso 68 for oiling the ways and drive thread.
Three in one oil for lubricating drills or cutters when turning.
Set of drills - difficult to say but as a guide I have a set of drills from 6mm to 13mm in .1mm divisions (present from my children!) of which I regularly use 10 in pen making the rest.
150mm and 300mm steel rulers, with clear divisions for marking.
Easy read calculator - for working out how much to take off when turning.
Set of Allen keys.

Needless to say the list is not exhaustive, and no doubt many on here will disagree or add to it.

Things I bought that I don't use - 4 jaw chuck with independent jaws - only used 5 or 6 times, but I could have achieved the same outcome with little ingenuity with out the expense. Four jaw self centering chuck - ummm.... use it when I'm reducing square stock to round but there are other ways.

Enjoy the journey.

Regards,
Chriscb

Don Rabchenuk

@ Farmer, sorry I spaced my asking about the mounting on your lathe. Thank you for posting the pictures. While you mention Cue man billiards, my son has asked that I contact Chris @ cue man and order https://www.cuesmith.com/deluxe-cue-smithtm-cue-lathe/ along with the accessories to go with it. It seems one hobby is morphing into another, but this one will be with a son that has just come back into my life after a very long difference of opinions. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom