I fighted this lided box for 3 days.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

alxe24

I think I won, but I let you be the judge.
I was trying to be conservetive (cheap) on a piece of Gmelia burl I have and cut it short, so I ended up with a 2"x2"x3 1/2" to make the box. When I chucked it up I noticed my cheapness left me almost nothing to work with. Commited to finish what I started I decided to move the block about 1/4" or so from the bottom of the chuck (to gain material) so I barely graved the wood (very smart) needless to say I did ended up about 0.0021 mm out of round on the lid due to lack of firmness on the grip I assume so now the lid is not as thight as I would like it to be. When I was about done holwing the inside, I had a catch (well, not me de tool I never have catches) the opening got busted; that is how the Ebony rim came about, I ripped a pen blank in 2 boock match glued it up and attached to the new mouth, then I had to refinish (CA) the outside one more time.
I had no problems turnig the inside of the lid, jammed chucked and hollow the inside bit. The last encounter with the box was when I was turning the foot, the mother &)#$#&%#*) decided to learn how to fly out ot the lathe, so there I had to do the third finish on it due to some blemishes, thank god it did not brake then.
After all that I think I came out a winner on this one but that box sure put up a fight for the last 3 nights.
Thanks for looking and you comments (good, bad or ugly)
Alex

The M&M's are props and they are 12" in diameter. [:eek:)]

2007115101339_Gmelia-burl-box-01.jpg

2007115101353_Gmelia-burl-box-02.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Let me be the first to congratulate you for fighting the good fight. I especially like the matching band and finial! It serves to accent the piece. Well done!

fernhills

Wow,it looks great to me,being as to where i am right now,gonna have to glue on some kind of lid,wasn`t as brave as you i just used practice wood,,on the lidded box i am trying to do,,(blew off the lid)

louisbry

Very well crafted lidded box Alex. When your blank is too short it is always a good idea to glue up a piece of scrapwood and latter part it off. Works for me.

richstick1

Good save - I like that little box alot. I've been doing average sized lidded boxes, I want to try some of these itty bitty guys. I like the reverse fit lid - you don't see that often, and it's a nice accent esp. with the ebony in there. The box does "squat" a bit - but with that shape, it enhances the piece, I think. Nice job!! :)

alxe24

Thanks for your comments guys. As small as they are the are taking me a bunch of time to make. I'll get used to make them and get a bit faster to the point that I would not feel bad giving one as a gift. At this point they are like mike children and I don't want to depart from them.

Fred

Nice lidded boxes. It's true that even small items can take a bit of time to do and this is a perfect example.

Very nicely done. Congratulations on a job well done! :D

Now, since I am a chocoholic, I want to know where I can get those 12" M&M's you mentioned above? :D

Top Bottom