Hybrid mini cone boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Hello folks

here are three new boxes

I cast the blanks last week and have turned these in my spare time over the past few days

the boxes are all around 60mm wide by 85mm tall

P1180638.jpg

P1180647.jpg

P1180661.jpg

P1180669.jpg

P1180700.jpg

P1180704.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Absolutely beautiful !! I'm really a very big fan of the little boxes you make. :biggrin:
But why are they called boxes and not jars. Does a jar have to have a screw lid perhaps?:confused:

ericofpendom

Outstanding as usual George!

Just one little question if I may George, do you have any issues when sanding larger areas of polyester? I tried a disc of about 50mm dia a while ago to try and make a pendent from a bit of resin left over in the bottom of the mixing cup but when I was sanding it the dust was getting clogged between the piece and the abrasive and doing more damage than good. How do you achieve such a beautiful finish on your boxes?

Regards

Eric...

alamocdc

Just one little question if I may George, do you have any issues when sanding larger areas of polyester? I tried a disc of about 50mm dia a while ago to try and make a pendent from a bit of resin left over in the bottom of the mixing cup but when I was sanding it the dust was getting clogged between the piece and the abrasive and doing more damage than good. How do you achieve such a beautiful finish on your boxes?

Regards

Eric...

I'm not George, Eric, but it sounds to me like you are dry sanding. I NEVER dry sand any synthetic. Once you start wet sanding, those issues will disappear.

nava1uni

I find that wet sanding works best on all polyresin, alumilite, stabilized wood. I even wet sand some exotic wood that is oily. It raises the grain on the wood, but if I let it dry then the next sanding makes it real smooth.

Your jars are very beautiful. Everything that you do is amazing to me.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your kind comments

Eric- For pure resin wet sanding works fine but I don't recommend you wet sand any resin which has wood/cones etc embedded within it.

I dry sand using abranet to 600 then buff using 3 different mops and compounds.

Last edited:

ericofpendom

Regards

Eric...

I'm not George, Eric, but it sounds to me like you are dry sanding. I NEVER dry sand any synthetic. Once you start wet sanding, those issues will disappear.

Cheers Billy, I had later though about wet sanding as I do wet sand when I remember on my resin pens.

Eric...

SDB777

Eric- For pure resin wet sanding works fine but I don't recommend you wet sand any resin which has wood/cones etc embedded within it.

I dry sand using abranet to 600 then buff using 3 different mops and compounds.

That is what I did wrong....I wet sanded a cone I just did. Even with thinCA into the 'petals' of the cone, I had this un-removeable wet-sanding powder inbedded around the the exposed part of the cone material. Wish I had seen this two days ago.....

I know what abranet is, but I'm lost as to what a 'mop' is....and by compound, are you refering to polishing compound?

Your cool boxes here gave me the bump I needed to make a few castings myself. Thank you!!!!

Scott (lovin' the silver in that one) B

TerryDowning

I'm lost as to what a 'mop' is....and by compound, are you refering to polishing compound?

Scott (lovin' the silver in that one) B

I believe "Mop" refers to a buffing wheel and "compound" is buffing compound.

I use three also

Brown to remove sanding scratches
White to remove scratches left from the brown
Blue to remove scratches from the white and polish.

I use 3 types of mop(buffing wheel) and 3 types of compounds to buff my work- they are all the mezerna brand and are:
stage 1-113gzp compound with B quality loose leaf mop
stage 2-glosswax 16 compound with g quality mop
stage 3-Atol 6 compound with WDR quality mop

Last edited:
Top Bottom