Hybrid Epoxy/Wood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Coppar11

Coppar11

I have been turning for several months, and just recently started making my own hybrid blanks. Would love to know what everyone thinks and any thoughts on improvements to my methods!
IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I think the workmanship looks great. As far as preference goes I like the bottom pen best. Not that I think it's better quality just liking the color combinations. I have a question for you. What is the white spot on the bottom pen? Close to the nib.

Coppar11

Thanks for the compliment! The spot is actually an air bubble in the epoxy that caused a blow out while turning. Decided to salvage the pen anyway as a learning journey...working on converting a pressure pot in order to reduce epoxy bubbles. They are the main cause of finishing problems on these pens - air can come out of pockets in the wood, or be trapped in the wood fibers, and inevitably there is a bubble (or hole) in the epoxy somewhere when I have finished turning or sanding.

Kenny Durrant

If your interested you can pop or drill out the air bubble and fill the hole with CA. The only thing is you need to make sure all the dust is out and the hole is spotless before filling. Most places are small enough you don't have to worry about adding pigment. Either way I'd say your off to a great start.

Coppar11

If your interested you can pop or drill out the air bubble and fill the hole with CA. The only thing is you need to make sure all the dust is out and the hole is spotless before filling. Most places are small enough you don't have to worry about adding pigment. Either way I'd say your off to a great start.
Thanks Kenny. On the blue walnut pen, the hole was with CA filled but unfortunately the brass tube was visible anyway. I have drilled and filled other holes in the epoxy with CA and they do end up working well.

Good looking pens overall. The blue with the walnut looks great, solid combination. The oak pen looks good but I think a different color would have worked better with that pen rather than what you have. Well done overall.

Top Bottom