How to make a permanent line on transfer punches?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

Transfer punches due to their method of use I do not believe are hardened. I believe a razor blade will mark transfer punches. That would be a very thin line. I would use a ""V" holder of some sorts to lay the punch in and then use a straight edge to guide the blade.

monophoto

This may not work for others, but many years ago, I acquired several carbide-tipped scribing pens - basically, aluminum handles with a pointed bit of tungsten carbide embedded in one end. I think they were advertised as tools that could be used to scribe text on metal items such as tools, but at this point I really don't recall where I got them.

I think that they would put a fairly distinct mark on a transfer punch. I know that the set I have are treated to have a dark gray/black surface, and I think that I could easily scribe through that surface with one of these carbide tools.

TonyL

I used a dremel engraver to mark fractions on them. It aint pretty, but I can read them numbers. I do the same on my SS TBC bushings.

jttheclockman

Being you want to do this length wise I will show you a quick way I mark tubes when I need a reference line down the lentgth of the tube. This can easily be used for this purpose. This is the crude version and I have since just made a jig that consists of 2 pieces of aluminum offset from each other and held together with some double stick tape. I do not have a photo of that but it is the same principle as the wood version I show in the photo. The wood needs to be true dimensioned. Thus the reason I switched to the aluminum. Just lay the tube ( transfer punch) next to the wood. I use double stick tape on the back of the wood or my other jig to hold it firmly to the table. Now push against the wood with the punch and use a scribe or a knife or a nail and run it down the length of the punch. You may have to do that a couple times but do not move the punch as it rests against the wood or aluminum. You will get a nice sharp clean line. Now paint the line. When I do tubes I just use a sharpie. I used this method when I made this colored pencil lead pen. I need to have the first lead straight. The all others pushed against the first and they all were now straight.

There are a couple other jigs in this photo for other types of tube configurations.

Copy of IMGP0411.JPG
Copy of IMGP0301.JPG

Some great suggestions above. I'm a big fan of the Brother "P-Touch" label maker. Mine makes 6mm, 12mm, 18mm wide sizes;. Black on white for most things, red on white for warnings etc., black on clear for some uses. They all have a clear laminated finish. On my wood chisel set I made the label repeating the sizes 3-4 times and attached in a spiral fashion on handle. Scroll saw blade storage box is another great use. Countless more uses.

thewishman

Wow! Thanks for the creative and varied ideas. I tried Mortalis' idea scribing lines with a sharp utility blade, it worked but the shiny line was hard to find in some light.

Ended up using a fine paint marker with the punch pushed up against a magazine edge (since it is round, I just needed to mark a straight line) and while it is not as thin as I was hoping, it is easy to see. Later, I'll probably use Louie and Rick's suggestions to scribe a more distinct line.

Thank you all!

egnald

Ok - curiosity has finally gotten the best of me. I've been following this post since yesterday. May I ask for what purpose do you scribe such a line on a transfer punch? Is there a helpful hint or something that I am missing? - Dave

monophoto

Ok - curiosity has finally gotten the best of me. I've been following this post since yesterday. May I ask for what purpose do you scribe such a line on a transfer punch? Is there a helpful hint or something that I am missing? - Dave
I'm glad someone asked that question. I assumed that everyone else understood what was going on and didn't want to expose my ignorance - - -

thewishman

Thought about teasing out an answer over time, but don't want to be cruel.

Bending some metal to make blanks that will be clear cast, and I want the resulting pieces to be straight.

jttheclockman

Thought about teasing out an answer over time, but don't want to be cruel.

Bending some metal to make blanks that will be clear cast, and I want the resulting pieces to be straight.
I can relate to what you are trying. Have done this too. The method I described I use is something I also use when doing labels or covering a blank with vinyl. I lay the tube against the straight edge and score the material with a knife. Making sure I do not push too hard because easy to cut through thin brass. Then peel off excess and perfect straight line. Good luck and hope to see some cool blanks. I have one that I hope I can pull off with some material that has never been used here before. Be getting back to pen turning this winter hopefully.

Top Bottom