How to dress a skeleton !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

I needed a few upcomming birthday gifts for this month and wanted something a little different for the receiver's special tastes. This was one is for the Grandaughter who likes all things creapy. The basic kit is a PSI Skeketon Key in 24Kt Gold. The blank is a end cut Spalted Oak with CA finish. After putting the pen together, I liked the detail of the castings, but I was unhappy with the Large amount of Gold plateing. The antique Pewter and Antique Copper in these kits have black backgrounds, and it makes the design stand out. I used my 4 hair Sable brush and a little blue Alcohol dye to transfer the background color. I also added several Swarovski crystals to the top and key center. It didn't take much to turn a good kit into a one of a kind gift. To some of our newer members, don't always be satisfied with what you receive in the package !! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0114 (495x800).jpg
    DSCF0114 (495x800).jpg
    244 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCF0115 (454x800).jpg
    DSCF0115 (454x800).jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCF0116 (576x800).jpg
    DSCF0116 (576x800).jpg
    308 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF0117 (800x290).jpg
    DSCF0117 (800x290).jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Now that is very cool. The blue really adds to the overall look of the pen. Where do you get your crystals?

Thanks Bob. I do a lot of ornaments, candels, invitations, and anything that will stand still long enough for glue to dry on, so I order crystals in larger amounts of 1-5 or 10 gross packages ( that's one color one size per package) from Shine Art USA. There are a LARGE number of sizes, colors, and shapes just in crystals alone. My last order was over 11,000 in only two sizes and 4 colors to finish 2 ornaments I am working on. One ornament has over 1200 crystals alone. For anyone who only needs a few crystals, I would go to JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Michel's, or any craft or sewing center to buy small packages. Colors, sizes, and styles will be quite limited however. What you want to look for are flat back non hot fix crystals. Size is measured in MMs. Here is a photo of a pen I did several years ago using crystals and Gold. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0691.jpg
    DSCN0691.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

gbpens

Great innovation Jim! A beautiful alternative to a rub finish. An alternative source for crystals is a jewelry supply shop which might offer a larger variety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom