How soon to turn when using 5-minute epoxy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaseyK

Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2026
Messages
18
Location
Angels Camp, CA, USA
Been using 5-minute epoxy gel to glue the tubes into the pens. I've always let it sit for a full day - glue it today, turn it tomorrow - mostly just because. No real reason.

My question is when could I turn these things if I'm using 5-minute epoxy? What would you set as the time you would wait to let the epoxy fully set? Not sure the answer would change my processes, but I would like to know what I could do if I needed to get some pens done more quickerly than normal.

Thanks
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I let mine sit overnight as well. If you need to push it, I would think a few hours of wait time would be OK, but I wouldn't trust the '5' minute claim as its more a working time number than fully cured time. Most packaging gives you the fully cured time on it in tiny print, so that might be your best reference.

Kevin
 
I've been using Barrel Bond 5 minute epoxy for a while, and I've never waited more than 10 or 15 minutes. I always stir it up with a piece of popsicle stick, then put the stick into whatever is left, usually not much, and wait until it holds there before turning. I've done this with wood, alumilite, inlace, faux stone, and several other resin-based plastics and the only problem I've ever had was one piece of frostbite inlace acrylester blew apart with a skew chisel, but when I inspected the barrel, there was a spot that didn't get any epoxy on it and that's where it blew apart.

Before I started using Barrel Bond, I used either generic 5 minute or medium CA from Hobby Lobby. I followed the same procedure, and didn't really have any issues with that either, but I still prefer the barrel bond for some reason.
 
I use Devcon Two Ton epoxy. Glue up a couple of pens as it has a long working time. Glue today, turn tomorrow. FWIW, had a kit for building a fishing rod that had 5 minute epoxy. Just barely got the grip on! Crossed off five minute epoxy.
 
FWIW... The BSI 5 Minute Epoxy states full strength reached in 1 hour. When I was using it, I still waited overnight.

I use mostly BSI 30 minute now as I prefer more open time and a stronger bond. Longer cure epoxies are stronger and more flexible (in general).
 
Back
Top Bottom