how do you support your dust collector hood at the lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I have (what I believe) is a good dust collection system but I'm having problems supporting the hood, which is attached to a 4" flexible hose, at the lathe.
Looking for suggestions (and pix).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

My lathe is at the end of a bench. I have a piece of plywood attached to a big chunk of Mahogany scrap that acts as a weight to keep it from tipping over. I cut a hole in it for the hose to come through and made a makeshift "hood" from an old plastic jug. (the whole thing is kind of makeshift really...:biggrin: )
I can move it back and forth to get the hose where I want it.

Attachments

• KIF_2440-1c.jpg
    KIF_2440-1c.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 3,260

lago

PSI has a clear plastic one that attaches via magnets. I found it at Woodcraft on their clearance table and got it for $18. Seems to work OK.
Lago

PaulDoug

I have a hood that I picked up somewhere. I mounted it on a little articulating arm that I made. I can move it from side to side, in and out, i can raise and lower the post it is on.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 4,094

pinelumber

dust collection

I use a 4" flex pipe as does everybody else. I use a 12" table saw dust collector mounted under the rails of the lathe Gravity has a part in this. I get 85% to 90% of the dust. I mount it with large rare earth magnets from HF.

Dennis
Pine Lumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

PenMan1

I got the same $18 woodcraft hood that Lago bought (it is the same hood as the $30 PSI hood).

I mounted it to a vertical board and attached the board to a small scrap of marble ( any heavy material will work). This allows the hood to be moved freely instead of attached to the lathe. I left enough flex hose attached so that I can move the hood to the floor to grab any dust or debris that escaped the mounted hood.

I don't have a picture, but I have devised a free standing post that hold my DC hood that I can move around as needed... the post is part of a satellite dish mount that I had to removed from the middle of the yard... it's a 3 1/2 inch pipe that just slides down inside a 4" pvc pipe that I've embedded in concrete in an old cat litter bucket... that way I can adjust height as needed... It ain't pretty, but works pretty well.

moke

I bought the Rockler lathe collector and built a bracket with earth magnets that fit on my ways around my rest. Didn't have much experience with magnets so I used the large ones and used 8. I need two men and a little boy to get it off, so if you do use magnets trust them more than I did.

Top Bottom