New lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

i did a search before posting this thread, but nothing came up that was specifically for the Jet 12x20 VS lathe. right now, i have a grizzly 5979 (12 x 42). i like it, but it's a little much for pens and bottle stoppers. so i have been looking at getting a new, smaller lathe. i had very few things in mind that had to meet what i was willing to spend money on...

1. variable speed
2. forward/reverse (optional, but would like)
2. #2 taper

can anybody tell me the pros/cons for this midi? i'm kind of stuck. if it's not really worth it, i can just keep trucking a long on the one i have.

thanks,
Nic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I've never read a bad review on that lathe. It's been around a good while, so to not read negatives on it, I would hesitate to purchase one. I'd also give a good look at the Delta midi.

seamus7227

Based on your options, you should go with Delta mini, i think its the 46-460? I own the Jet 1220VS and love it, however, if you gotta have the reverse feature, then the delta looks like the better option. I bought my 1220 on amazon this past december and paid and shipped to my house for $520 what a heck of a deal for something that weighs 100lbs and typically retails for $600!

Last edited:

Lenny

I leave my belt on the highest setting ... the variable speed then adjusts the range for any operation I want to do from rounding blanks to drilling on the lathe.

Most any of the mini/midi lathes in the $500-600 range are going to require a belt change to access all the speed ranges. On the Delta the belt change is super fast and easy!

Turned Around

I read that earlier this morning. the only thing i don't like about it is that you need to change the belt to get different speeds out of it.

so it's a coin toss between the Jet and the Delta

Lenny

Even the Teknatool Comet II has three belt positions. I don't thnk you should concern yourself with having to change the belt. Like I have said, using the highest position gives me all the range I need for pen turning. If I want to turn a large bowl, up to 12", I will put it on the lower pulley. Takes just seconds to change!

However, if you REALLY want a fully VS lathe ... take a look at the NOVA DVRXP. :)

seamus7227

I always found the easiet way to decide on a lathe, if you have the ability, is to test them out either at the stores or by joining a local woodturning group. that way you know what features work the best for you

widows son

Saw the new lathe at SWAT

i looked at it, not too bad.
can't find any TRUE reviews on it since it's not out yet.

I played the with the new Comet lathe at SWAT in Waco last weekend. 3/4 hp motor. Nice fit and finish and features. Woodcraft is taking orders now for delivery in Oct. $499 plus tax and shipping. Controls are easy to get to. It has has some interesting feature like a 6" grinder and Wolverine jig look a like as an option. 1 year warranty. I think it would do pens very nicely. Definitely a step above the Jet in fit and finish and switchology. Variable speed 250-4000 rpm and reversible.

The Delta 46-450 is a heavier lathe and IMHO has the best access to belts of the bunch. Takes me just a few seconds to change pulleys. I also like the switch mounted on top. No problem finding it if things go wrong. The Delta has a 5 year warranty and a $50 rebate.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Delta for lots of things including pens and small bowls (less than 10").

Lenny

I had not thought of a reverse feature, but that would be helpful in some of the finishing techniques.

True enough but I think more so if you are turning bowls. I got into the habit of just reversing my blanks .... now even though I have a reverse switch I seldom use it ...force of habit! :wink:

roddesigner

there were considerable problems with the Jet VS when it first came out the local woodcraft would not stick the Vs model,I have no idea but I would imagine they have corrected the problem by now.
I have the Delta love it no problem when you have to move the belt

t001xa22

I have been using the Jet 1220 for about 2 years now. I have had no problems with it at all. As far as the belt/speed changes, the top hatch door is facing away from me. I have done this so many times now, I just use my fingers to count the pulleys both top and bottom and make my changes. When I reset my tension lever, I know instantly that I have it right, before I even turn it on. I can do a speed change in less than 60 seconds. Like Lenny, when I need to reverse, I do it with the blank. Just saying: for such a good price and service, I like the Jet.

Top Bottom