How do I remove CA from faceshield

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I have some CA that is smeared on my faceshield and using acetone just makes it worse. If it was drops it would be easy to remove with a knife but it is smeared.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I have some CA that is smeared on my faceshield and using acetone just makes it worse. If it was drops it would be easy to remove with a knife but it is smeared.

Thanks

Well the acetone and maybe the CA probably attacked the plastic and I'm afraid you are going to have to replace it.

At this point you would have to remove it mechanically aka sand paper and plastic polish. If you do this I would assume your shield would then be wavy.

Ed McDonnell

If you have buffing wheels you use to polish your resin pens, you could try that. Sounds like you don't have much to lose at this point. Just be careful the wheels don't grab it and fling it across the shop. That could make things worse in a lot of ways....

Ed

SteveG

I tend to like the debonder approach, as it is less likely to attack and fog the shield material. The cost comparison of a new shield insert vs. whole new shield vs. buying debonder solution with consideration of the overall condition of the clear shield material are all worth taking into account.

It is a GOOD THING that you are using a shield, so keep that practice going! :biggrin:

If your face shield has a replaceable shield, it may save you buying the whole thing. Good Luck!

It is replaceable and I have a replacement for it. I was just trying to get some more life out of it.

Acetone will remove the CA, but will also likely cloud the shield... DAMHIKT....
I keep 3 face shields in my shop with replacement shields for all of them...

rcbennett

Some solvents attack the Polymer chains in the surface of the material and weaken it significantly, so it will need to go, and I doubt if anything would remove the CA without damage. Buy a new shield, sorry for the bad news.

Hawkdave

Hi Jim....Have you thought about using Saran Wrap to protect your face shield?

You would only need to put it on as you do the CA process, when you have finished, you could rip it off and voila! you have a new clean face shield again.

Dave.

chartle

I have two face shields both from Habor Freight.

The cheap one and the more expensive one. I use the cheap one for CA.

JimB

Hi Jim....Have you thought about using Saran Wrap to protect your face shield?

You would only need to put it on as you do the CA process, when you have finished, you could rip it off and voila! you have a new clean face shield again.

Dave.

Never thought to do that. I'll need to give it a try.

JimB

I have two face shields both from Habor Freight.

The cheap one and the more expensive one. I use the cheap one for CA.

I do have one of the HF cheap ones that I normally use when doing CA finish but sometimes I forget to change faceshields:eek: when I do remember I also use safety glasses under it.

JimB

I don't have any debonder so used some sandpaper, then micro meshed it through all steps. It removed most of it but the faceshield is still distorted. I even tried buffing it with white diamond and also used a plastic polish.

Fortunately the distortion is on the lower part and not in the line of sight so it is better. If it was in the line of sight I wouldn't be able to use it.

Oh well. I do have a replacement shield for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Jim... It is very distracting to read your posts and this "Guy" on the upper left side of my screen is doing pirouettetes... :mad::mad::mad:

Oh, good luck with the CA issue... I'd buy a new cheap face shield. I use two - one for actual turning, kept clean; second with mucho glue splatters... used for CA/other finishes.

JimB

Jim... It is very distracting to read your posts and this "Guy" on the upper left side of my screen is doing pirouettetes... :mad::mad::mad:

Oh, good luck with the CA issue... I'd buy a new cheap face shield. I use two - one for actual turning, kept clean; second with mucho glue splatters... used for CA/other finishes.

<<<<<<-------------- Are you talking about him?:)

Top Bottom