Honeycomb Pen Blank Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

And here it is. This is one of my off white blanks.

It is a sierra blank

What I did was:
. Cut the blank in half
. I drilled it on my lathe
. Epoxied the tube in and waited 2 days
. Took blank corners down on lathe to get close to round
. Finished the blank with my turning tool
. gave it a final sand and polish
There it is...

Attachments

• off white honeycomb.jpg
    off white honeycomb.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 402

edstreet

we're you rounding it from square with the skew?

No, I had sanded round and then started using the skew but it still chipped enough to make the blank unusable, so I than started experimenting with other tools.

Am wondering if you had tried any more on this. Am also wondering what you used to round the blank with?

I see the description has yet to be updated or the typo's corrected and that speaks volumes in itself as to helping fix the problem.

There is a few methods that involve angle grinders, hand drills and the like that could clear things right up and without dredging this into a carbide flame war I do have to point out that the carbide suggestions is laughable at best as for being supportive of the problems mentioned in this thread.

StuartCovey

Am wondering if you had tried any more on this. Am also wondering what you used to round the blank with?

I see the description has yet to be updated or the typo's corrected and that speaks volumes in itself as to helping fix the problem.

There is a few methods that involve angle grinders, hand drills and the like that could clear things right up and without dredging this into a carbide flame war I do have to point out that the carbide suggestions is laughable at best as for being supportive of the problems mentioned in this thread.

What exactly do you mean?

No I haven't had a chance to try another one. I did receive the blanks from Mike but I've been too busy filling orders to experiment.

OKLAHOMAN

No, I had sanded round and then started using the skew but it still chipped enough to make the blank unusable, so I than started experimenting with other tools.

Ed, sometimes there are things way beyond our control, so your statement "speaking volumes in itself as to fixing the problem" just rubbed me very wrong. My site is hosted by Site Kreator and at present and for the last 4 days we are not able to edit the site. I have calls in to them and hope to have the problem solved on Monday. This is one of the reasons I will be changing host on the 1st of January.
On every blank I ship there is a label attached with instruction that work for us. Also a one time replacement guarantee on a blank that the customer destroys, no matter how during turning or drilling.
We suggest, drilling slow and do not heat the blank during drilling, do not drill all the way through as just like in other type of acrylics you can break through and split the ends. As the Nomex cells can be caught on the edge of your tool we also recommend you knock off the corners of the blank either by sanding it on a belt sander or on your lathe with 100 grit sand paper. I have found that if I use a round carbide cutter and take very light cuts that I do not need to round first but I have been using a Rotundo carbide tool for years.
Use the tool that you know you can take as light of cuts as possible until the blanks are evenly round.

All of this will be on the site when we can edit . It definitely will be on the new site.

edstreet

Ed, sometimes there are things way beyond our control, so your statement "speaking volumes in itself as to fixing the problem" just rubbed me very wrong. My site is hosted by Site Kreator and at present and for the last 4 days we are not able to edit the site. I have calls in to them and hope to have the problem solved on Monday. This is one of the reasons I will be changing host on the 1st of January.
On every blank I ship there is a label attached with instruction that work for us. Also a one time replacement guarantee on a blank that the customer destroys, no matter how during turning or drilling.
We suggest, drilling slow and do not heat the blank during drilling, do not drill all the way through as just like in other type of acrylics you can break through and split the ends. As the Nomex cells can be caught on the edge of your tool we also recommend you knock off the corners of the blank either by sanding it on a belt sander or on your lathe with 100 grit sand paper. I have found that if I use a round carbide cutter and take very light cuts that I do not need to round first but I have been using a Rotundo carbide tool for years.
Use the tool that you know you can take as light of cuts as possible until the blanks are evenly round.

All of this will be on the site when we can edit . It definitely will be on the new site.

Relax, breathe, no need to get defensive at all on this or get worked up in any way. This is a very simple logic issue.

Lets review my initial question which I have been trying to figure out to help Stuart with what he is going through.

So has anyone confirmed what the real problem is here? Looking over this several times I see some mention 'no problems' and others say they have had the same problem. So in short is this a blank material problem, a skill set problem or a method problem?

Rational thinking tells us if the problem is with the blank itself then there would be some type of updated information be it a change in the blank itself (unknown), how it's listed on the website (no change), some type of notice there is a problem (no), other reports with of cases (yes), mention of angle grinders/hand drills/impact wrenches (yes).

Also if it is a skill set problem then we would see postings like I made involving angle grinders/hand drills/impact wrenches (yes); also we would see post involving carbide tools (yes), belt sanders (yes), post detailing more howto on methods (no), multiple multiple posts on methods and specific techniques that would yield good results (no)

Also as indicated in post #24, dated 11/29 by Stuart one of, if not the main, problem was revealed to us, 16 days ago. I was mostly checking in to see if there was any more updates to this and to find out what has been done for the problem. I was also curious to hear from the original poster to find out the results, which we got a response in post #44.

OKLAHOMAN

Relax, breathe, no need to get defensive at all on this or get worked up in any way. This is a very simple logic issue.

Lets review my initial question which I have been trying to figure out to help Stuart with what he is going through.

So has anyone confirmed what the real problem is here? Looking over this several times I see some mention 'no problems' and others say they have had the same problem. So in short is this a blank material problem, a skill set problem or a method problem?

Rational thinking tells us if the problem is with the blank itself then there would be some type of updated information be it a change in the blank itself (unknown), how it's listed on the website (no change), some type of notice there is a problem (no), other reports with of cases (yes), mention of angle grinders/hand drills/impact wrenches (yes).

Also if it is a skill set problem then we would see postings like I made involving angle grinders/hand drills/impact wrenches (yes); also we would see post involving carbide tools (yes), belt sanders (yes), post detailing more howto on methods (no), multiple multiple posts on methods and specific techniques that would yield good results (no)

Also as indicated in post #24, dated 11/29 by Stuart one of, if not the main, problem was revealed to us, 16 days ago. I was mostly checking in to see if there was any more updates to this and to find out what has been done for the problem. I was also curious to hear from the original poster to find out the results, which we got a response in post #44.

Nobody got worked up or defensive only pointed what you said was offensive. As to no post detailing how to on methods read on page 1 posts # 2,5,10,14, on page 2 #1,2, and 3 , again there are multiple post on different methods but you said there are none your quote
"multiple multiple posts on methods and specific techniques that would yield good results (no)" post #2,10,12,14 on page 1 and post 1,2 and3 on page 2

healeydays

Guys,

I haven't been getting into this discussion today, but I guess I have to. As I and others have stated you need sharp tools, a light touch and you should pre-round these blanks and at a minimum take the corners off them. We have had people that have turned these with no issues and others that are challenged.

Mike B

Top Bottom