Holy Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I received a wood blank that simply said "maple". It's not any maple I'm familiar with. It is very light wight, but was difficult to cut (very hard). I glued it up and turned it down to rough size and then discovered three voids in it. What's the plan?

I was thinking that I could dust some black Mika into the holes and fill them with resin. Perhaps those with experience here will have more attractive solutions.
88BEE8DD-B835-434F-BD28-A119CCAAD725.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Looks like 2 of the voids go all the way in.my idea would be to take a piece of tape,line up the edge to the 2 holes and spiral it around the rest of the blank.Then take a dremel or drill get a bit large enough to round out the holes and create some additional ones using the tape edge as a guide.Then fill it with a colorful mica,pearlex,crushed stone,metalpowder,etc,Create a neat little dotted spiral out of it.Don't know how easy it would be ,but it's an idea.

magpens

Where do you buy those accessories ...... colorful mica, pearlex, crushed stone, metalpowder, etc. ?

Todd in PA

I can't believe I never thought of using aluminum cans as a source material. Finally something to do with all those Cherry Coke cans!
It was pointed out to me that when you sand aluminum and other soft metals, the metal dust will get into the grain, ruining your beautiful clean wood. Therefore, if you add aluminum, don't sand the barrel.
I used a sharp skew as a scraper to get this pen smooth and went straight to CA finish. Once it's sealed, I did use micro mesh on the finish.

Ironwood

Bit late for my reply, looks like you did a great job with the repairs, it's not obvious that it's been repaired, so that's a success.
A lot of the woods I use, that have the voids that need filling, seem to have a black, or very dark edge on the void. I usually use sanding dust from Ebony or another dark wood, or if the void is large, coffee grounds work well. I use CA to bind it all together.

Top Bottom