Hollow Form Half

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

The other day I was turning this hollow form from Osage Orange. When I was almost finished, the cutting assembly attached to the end of my boring bar with a set screw slipped and the piece was immediately destroyed. I have since flatened the cutting assembly with my grinder so the set screw will hopefully hold next time. In the first photo, all looks fine but the second photo reveals the dammage. I cut the form in half and you can see from the last photo that I really didn't have to make that last cut that twisted the cutting head assembly. Anyway I think my wife wants to use the half of a vase for some kind of wall hanging decoration.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Sorry to see that happen but we all have mishaps now and again.
Like you mentioned you really didn't need to go any farther with turning it but it seems to always be when almost done when something like that happens and we can't do much but grin and bear it and put it down to experience.
I have on occasion turned so thin that light will show through it but the wood generally starts "talking" to you before that happens. .

That one you showed is a nice shape. Better luck next time.

IPD_Mrs

And my husband wonders why I am a bit slow on the uptake to do these "bigger" projects. That was beautiful to start! Sorry bout the finish :<

Top Bottom