High Praise?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I've done a few local demos but do not consider myself to be a great demonstrator. I was asked to do a teapot demo for our sister club in the Tidewater area. I always wonder if I am did well after a demo. My impression is that my roadshow demo went well. I got lots of positive feedback. Lida (my wife) went with me and thought I did great but she might be a little biased. A better yardstick might be Myron. One guy said to to wife "Myron stayed for the entire demo- that's a sign of a great demo. He's 98 and usually leaves at the break." I am hoping that I kept Myron's attention as opposed to he fell asleep and forgot to go home at his normal time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I suspect you are correct with regards to Myron. I admire folks that are comfortable speaking in front of a crowd (large or small). I have never been comfortable in this role. I will say this also; the teapots you have shown on IAP are well merited for AAW Chapter demos. A very unique set of turning, shaping and finishing skills. Kudos, Cody.

leehljp

Member Liaison
As one who has worked with pastors for years, it was quite common to see those with the highest degrees - to leave a conference after a brief appearance, or, after a PHD has spoken. A PHD doesn't make one a great speaker, but it is a larger drawing card.

While you can judge your demonstration by the highest level of proficient people watching, but be careful of that. It (highest level of people watching) IS an indictor of the high level of work that you have done, but on the other hand a person with mediocre work and great presentation (and entertainment) skills will draw larger crowds continuously. This last person is an ego chaser.

I would suspect that you are of the personality type that is somewhat introverted and are not totally confident in your work, even though others are. You tend to over critique your own work. This is a characteristic of a perfectionist and it can be a drawback.

Listen to your wife!

Where to place your values: Place the values on what you create, not on yourself. What you create will carry you.

Cwalker935

I suspect you are correct with regards to Myron. I admire folks that are comfortable speaking in front of a crowd (large or small). I have never been comfortable in this role. I will say this also; the teapots you have shown on IAP are well merited for AAW Chapter demos. A very unique set of turning, shaping and finishing skills. Kudos, Cody.

Mark, I am pretty introverted and was terrified of public speaking when I was younger. My career forced me into a role of testifying in courtroom proceedings and before General Assembly committees. My saving grace was that I was usually both knowledgeable and passionate about what I had to say and got lost in the subject and forgot that I was talking in front of an audience.

Cwalker935

As one who has worked with pastors for years, it was quite common to see those with the highest degrees - to leave a conference after a brief appearance, or, after a PHD has spoken. A PHD doesn't make one a great speaker, but it is a larger drawing card.

While you can judge your demonstration by the highest level of proficient people watching, but be careful of that. It (highest level of people watching) IS an indictor of the high level of work that you have done, but on the other hand a person with mediocre work and great presentation (and entertainment) skills will draw larger crowds continuously. This last person is an ego chaser.

I would suspect that you are of the personality type that is somewhat introverted and are not totally confident in your work, even though others are. You tend to over critique your own work. This is a characteristic of a perfectionist and it can be a drawback.

Listen to your wife!

Where to place your values: Place the values on what you create, not on yourself. What you create will carry you.

Hank,
You are correct in that I am introverted and not totally confident in my work. That is both a blessing and a curse. Never being confident forces me to try harder. I like to do things that are challenging and different and often fall flat on my face. I have only turned one or two pieces that I was completely satisfied with at the time. I see the flaws in my teapots and I often wonder is that worthy of putting out there, however, I am passionate about the approach I am using to do them and think it has the potential for applying to other types of turnings. I like sharing that passion and hope that people find it interesting. Positive feedback is welcomed in that it shows that people share a little of my passion as well as providing some encouragement to keep banging my head against the wall of self critique that I have build up around myself. In other words I can be my own worst enemy and may look too hard for validation from others.

magpens

"In other words I can be my own worst enemy and may look too hard for validation from others. "

This is an expression of how many of us have felt and continue to feel. . It is quite normal to be overly self-critical.

Cody, from what I have seen of your work here, you have every reason to feel confident in it. . I am sure that you put the same diligence and care into preparing your oral presentations and I have no doubt that those results are also excellent. . Keep up the GREAT work !!!!

PenPal

Listen to your wife!

Amen.......Peter.

Charlie_W

Hey Cody, I'm sure you did a splendid of with your demonstration and that you were very prepared!
When are you going to bring your teapot demo to Northern VA?

Top Bottom