Hiding post count..... Who's up for it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

I turned mine off a long time ago. I noticed recently that sometimes it seems that people post for sheer numbers. Turning your post count off, as one member so eloquently puts it hides and "implication of knowledge". Anyone else up to the idea?

ilikewood

Guess what?....Some with high post counts are experts in this field. If you are inexperienced and just like to talk, turn it off. If you are experienced and would like to share your knowledge, keep em on. Seems really simple to me.

Skye

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Guess what?....Some with high post counts are experts in this field. If you are inexperienced and just like to talk, turn it off. If you are experienced and would like to share your knowledge, keep em on. Seems really simple to me.

I would hope that someone being an expert or not would be conveyed through their post content rather than their post count. I'm experienced and like to share knowledge, but prefer to turn mine off because I'd rather someone look at my content over the number below my name. I would assume that’s the reason the ability to turn off your post count exists here.

coach

<br />Guess what?....Some with high post counts are experts in this field. If you are inexperienced and just like to talk, turn it off. If you are experienced and would like to share your knowledge, keep em on. Seems really simple to me.

Huh?

ilikewood

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but according to your own words, you just started turning in January. I saw the picts of your first pens (which were not bad by the way).

I guess the best way to judge experience is to look through the photo albums.

I'll repeat it...Seems really simple to me...of course maybe I am really simple minded as well.[:D]

Dario

I say keep it as an option.

I believe most members here are "mature" enough to know that the post count DOES NOT equate to the poster's knowledge. To say otherwise is an insult to their intelligence. I also believe they know who talks/posts with wisdom and knowledge and can descern who just post BS and nonsense.

Take me for example, I m chatty (very chatty). I don't pretend to know much but you know what? I am proud of my post count [^]...as I am proud to be with this community. Whether I just posted "WELCOME!!!" to get the count...I don't really care. I don't post for the count either and don't have any hang-ups if or when others do.

We share here (knowledge, sorrows, achievements, jokes, friendship, advise, etc.)...and hope to grow together in the process.

Skye

<br />Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but according to your own words, you just started turning in January.

I should punch you in the eye! No, seriously, I've learned a lot in a short period of time. I've moved past the first pens (bleh) and have done a few bullet casing pens, created a tutorial on snakeskin blank making, turned lots of acrylics, buckeye, etc. Still have tons to learn, but feel like I've come quite far in such a short period of time.

Not to toot my own horn, but here's my latest snake pen, made from scratch: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/SkyeMaloney/alt.jpg

And my favorite bullet, unpolished at the time of the shot, great little pen and moving to more complex ones as we speak: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/SkyeMaloney/bullet1.jpg

So, if we're basing turning it off or on by knowledge, I think I've moved into the turn-on phase, but I still choose not to because I'd rather people look at what I post rather than the number.

Sure, it's nice to think that most people know better, but some, especially new people, will look at a post count and take the guy's words for scripture. Meanwhile the guys been postwhoring since he created his user with no real content. That's been something to plague boards since post counters began.

It's a personal choice obviously, which is why I asked who was up for it.

alamocdc

Funny thing... I never even look at the numbers.

Oh my... I just noticed my post number is second only to Anthony! We must be greatest, most wonderfulest and experience penturners here. [:eek:)]

Randy_

Originally posted by Skye
<br /><b>I turned mine off a long time ago.</b> I noticed recently that sometimes it seems that people post for sheer numbers. Turning your post count off, as one member so eloquently puts it <b><b>hides and "implication of knowledge". </b></b>Anyone else up to the idea?

I guess that explains it!!

Seems to me it is sort like the TV. If you don't like the show, just don't watch it.

Must be a slow day at TPS??

wayneis

You know, we've been through this topic a hundred times in the last two years at least and most times it ends up with a fight. Lets not go there again, on or off its up to the individual.

Wayne

pete00

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />We must be greatest, most wonderfulest and experience penturners here. [:eek:)]

oh most nobel king of all woodworking knowledge in the whole kingdom
bestow upon me your humble servent a little of the vast knowledge you have tucked away under your helmet.

Use your knowledge transfer wand and lightly touch me over the head, so i too can be a magical wood worker as you.

SMACK... ouch.. but thank you kind sir, i can feel the knowledge swelling up inside, actually on the outside too.

I now see STARS by the millions why...could it be...yes a vision.

I now know that sawdust is my friend, trees grow for our amusement, snakewood doesnt crack, and advil helps in the learning proocess.

oh great almocdc i owe this all to you......

Skye

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />You need to get a life Skye, who really cares?

Why does this lead you to believe I have no life? Curious of your logic there.

If nobody cared, why has this been debated 'hundreds' of times. I've only been here about 4 months, I hadn’t heard it brought up before.

I guess my question now is, why does everything that requires differing opinions here turn into a pissing contest? I ask a question, next thing you know I have no life. This place is a riot sometimes.

Dario

Skye,

Now you know how it is sitting on the other side of the fence. Remember my question a week or so ago and how you responded? Maybe this is part of the learning process for all of us.

Now guys...keep your cool [;)].

alamocdc

Originally posted by pete00
<br />
oh most nobel king of all woodworking knowledge in the whole kingdom
bestow upon me your humble servent a little of the vast knowledge you have tucked away under your helmet.

Use your knowledge transfer wand and lightly touch me over the head, so i too can be a magical wood worker as you.

SMACK... ouch.. but thank you kind sir, i can feel the knowledge swelling up inside, actually on the outside too.

I now see STARS by the millions why...could it be...yes a vision.

I now know that sawdust is my friend, trees grow for our amusement, snakewood doesnt crack, and advil helps in the learning proocess.

oh great almocdc i owe this all to you......

ROTFLMAO, Pete! Now that's funny!

Dario

Originally posted by Skye
<br />
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Remember my question a week or so ago and how you responded?

Question, more or less, reply, not off the top of my head.

Skye,

Lets just say it wasn't the nicest response [;)]

We do ask innocent questions and well meaning too, but others may see it differently. As I said, hope this is a learning experience and be a reminder next time you/we want to hit the "enter" key. [:)]

its_virgil

You really should (start a bubbasville chapter). You will never know just how much fun we have. It is a blast, we learn and share lots of penturning info...hey, we could even have a "bubbasville convention" from time to time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by thewishman
<br />1,000,000 999,999 999,998....

Hey Tip, I'm in Reynoldsburg, too. Should we start a local Bubbasville chapter?

Chris

JimGo

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Hey you over looked JimGo...Anthony is only 2nd LOL

And you thought YOU were chatty Dario! BTW, look at the posts-per-day, or the time in which Anthony has been a member versus me...yup, I'm chatty. [:D]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I'm not sure the post count works properly anyway. Mine has been on the same number for quite a while, and when it moves it stays there for quite awhile.
I think we looked into this once before and decided that it was working. When you made this comment, your count was 1386, so post and we'll see if it goes up.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Skye,

I think you would have to admit that posting somewhat provocative questions seems to be your forte. There are those who might tend to think that is your intention.

Personally, I don't care one way or another about the post count. Have you considered asking the question at TPS?

I'm glad that you feel that you are experienced enough over the last few months to be able to make your contributions to the sites, and hope that you will continue to do so. I do hope that you will drop some of your coarser comments such as

"someone flopping their nads on our dinner table"

I do not feel that such comments add to the weight of your opinions, and actually they detract from your sharing of your knowledge with the rest of us. BTW, the word is couth, not cooth.

FWIW,

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />BTW Jim, I just finished packing your wood one-handed[:p]

I can't be the only one to find this the most risque' post of this thread. lol

Oh, and to be on topic, who cares what the numbers are, other than the obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom