Hidey Ho from Massachusetts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Somewhat new turner here from Western Massachusetts. Bought my first lathe last fall to turn some custom plugs for a deck I was building (cause I always wanted a lathe, and it gave me an excuse...) Decided after a while to try turning pens and soon learned that the HF lathe I bought was not worth the folded metal it was made out of. Local Woodcraft store had a Demo Jet on sale, so I jumped on that and haven't looked back. I call pen making my new hobby/obsession, and my wife calls it the reason she is going to leave me AND the reason I won't notice when it happens...

Anyway, Here's some photos of stuff I've done so far, learning a little bit more each day, but I'm not afraid to make mistakes, and I'm willing to try just about anything, so it's a lot of fun. Here's much of my work so far, some have escaped un-photographed, usually because they were made last minute and went out the door as soon as the finish was dry... A LOT of sketch pencils, as I thought it was a very cool thing when I saw it, and I have a lot of artist friends who, as soon as they saw it began throwing $$$ at me for them... Most of the lighter wood is from a few chunks out of my firewood pile (a tree that gave it's life so I can have a garage...).

Looking forward to learning more and getting better, as everything I've seen here has been unbelievable!!!

Pens5359.jpg

Pens5363.jpg

Pens5369.jpg

Pens6216.jpg

Pens6219.jpg

Pens6220.jpg

Pens6222.jpg

Pens6225.jpg

Pens7999.jpg

Pens8003.jpg

Pens9315.jpg

Pens9793.jpg

Pens9795.jpg

Pens0425.jpg

Pens0426.jpg

Pens0832.jpg

Pens0836.jpg

Pens1910.jpg

Pens1911.jpg

Pens1912.jpg

Pens2308.jpg

Pens2310.jpg

Pens2786.jpg

Pens3547.jpg

Pens3548.jpg

Pens3549.jpg

Pens3619.jpg

Pens3620.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karin Voorhis

Welcome to the #1 best place to feed your addiction to high levels that's will take you beyond anything you coul have guessed! Wow your work is great! I too love my jets! Way to go!!!!

eck

Isn't Mass a small state? there's enough pics here to cover it twice. I really love the 3rd,4tyh and 5th from the bottom!!!! looks like a burl. wow, are u really new at this?
Eck

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Todd! GREAT looking pens! You have pen making down pat!

You don't need this next bit but some of us include it as a welcome to those new to this forum. Hope some of it helps (but you already are beyond most of it, if not all.)

Below are links to some threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf[/QUOTE]

toddlajoie

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Thanks for all the kind words, trust me, those are not *ALL* the pens I've attempted, there are many that would, I'm sure, violate internet decency to post (I probably could have one the ugly pen contest without even trying...).

Lee, Thanks for the links, I'm sure there is much in them that I can learn from, so I will check them out...

Eck, 3rd and 4th from the bottom are opposite sides of the same pen, Stabilized Box Elder Burl is what I was told it was, and that is my current favorite pen. 5th from the bottom is a pen I made for a friend, The upper partial barrel is the original one, Malle Burl with a friction polish finish, which split and cracked after a few weeks (you can see one of the cracks in the center of the partial barrel facing in to the pen). The full pen is the repaired pen, again with Malle Burl (he REALLY liked the wood, and luckily I bought 2 blanks...) but this time with a CA finish (and probably one of about 5 pens that have a successful CA finish out of MANY attempts, I think I'm running around 1 out of 5 for a CA success rate...

Top Bottom