Hi from Little Rock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I'm just getting started in the hobby. I guess I needed something to do when it's cold outside, and nothing my wife suggested sound like a hobby. :eek:

My garage is my shop, and I've done some basic woodworking, but I haven't used a lathe in many years. In fact I still haven't purchased mine yet, and that's what lead me to this forum. I'm doing my homework on what to look for, how to do things, etc.

I hope I don't ask too many boring questions, and I PROMISE to search before asking.

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome from Japan. Lots of information here.

1. Get familiar with Harbor Freight (HF), you have one near you and I have made purchases there. :biggrin:

2. Many people look for an inexpensive lathe to get started. I will recommend looking for a lathe with an MT2 (# 2Morse Taper). #1MTs work fine and if the price is right, then that will do well. However, MT2 lathes have the most options available if you decide to expand and really get into turning pens and small bowls. Jet, Rikkon, Delta, Grizzly, PSI have lathes at different prices. HF has some lathes that are dependable and cheap, but others steer away from them as quality is IFFY.

3. New wood lathes come with a tail stock live center for turning wood. This does not fit correctly in a mandrel and "will" work but there will be resulting problems. The best thing is to go ahead and look for and get a 60° live center for the tail stock. There are two methods of turning pens - Turning Between Centers (TBC - which is more precise overall) and with mandrels - which is how most people start.

4. Tools - cheap to learn with or expensive chisels - either way begin with an attitude that SHARP is a constant necessity. Don't buy a tool until you have a method of sharpening within quick reach of the lathe.

5. Calipers - learn to measure by calipers, not by bushings. Sizing the blanks by the bushings will only take you so far before imperfections are noticed. A good habit is learning from the beginning to "measure" from an instrument - rather than from the bushing which will wear down or build up with finish - both of which will produce inaccuracies quickly.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

BTW, Home for me is just across the MS river from Helena, and you know where that is!

Last edited:

BSea

Welcome from Japan. Lots of information here.

1. Get familiar with Harbor Freight (HF), you have one near you and I have made purchases there. :biggrin:
I'm usually in there about every week or two. But I've pretty much limited my purchases to products without many moving parts. So while I might get some odds & ends for this hobby, I doubt I'll buy a lathe from there.

2. Many people look for an inexpensive lathe to get started. I will recommend looking for a lathe with an MT2 (# 2Morse Taper). #1MTs work fine and if the price is right, then that will do well. However, MT2 lathes have the most options available if you decide to expand and really get into turning pens and small bowls. Jet, Rikkon, Delta, Grizzly, PSI have lathes at different prices. HF has some lathes that are dependable and cheap, but others steer away from them as quality is IFFY.

3. New wood lathes come with a tail stock live center for turning wood. This does not fit correctly in a mandrel and "will" work but there will be resulting problems. The best thing is to go ahead and look for and get a 60° live center for the tail stock. There are two methods of turning pens - Turning Between Centers (TBC - which is more precise overall) and with mandrels - which is how most people start.
Thanks for these tips. I've made these 2 things mandatory for my lathe and accessories purchases.

4. Tools - cheap to learn with or expensive chisels - either way begin with an attitude that SHARP is a constant necessity. Don't buy a tool until you have a method of sharpening within quick reach of the lathe.

5. Calipers - learn to measure by calipers, not by bushings. Sizing the blanks by the bushings will only take you so far before imperfections are noticed. A good habit is learning from the beginning to "measure" from an instrument - rather than from the bushing which will wear down or build up with finish - both of which will produce inaccuracies quickly.
I haven't researched tools yet. I think no matter what I buy, I'll go for a quality set 1st. I hate to buy things twice. I guess I've learned that the hard way over the years. Also, a digital set of calipers is on my list of required purchases. Didn't someone mention that this was going to get expensive???

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf
Sheesh, more homework?!?!?!:eek:

But seriously, thanks for the links. I had read a few, but it helps to have them pointed out.

BTW, Home for me is just across the MS river from Helena, and you know where that is!
I've been there too, just not as often as HF. That's 1 hobby I can't afford. :)

And thanks again for all the warm greetings. This is really a friendly forum.

rlofton

Welcome from North Texas, Bob. I sent you a PM you might be interested in. PM me if you would like any additional information.

Thanks!

Top Bottom