HF 115 piece 135 degree drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

I know this has been discussed at length in various posts. I just need a straight answer .... somebody spell it out for me, please. Here's the question:

I'm always walking by that HF 115 piece 135 degree split point titanium nitride coated high speed drill bit set for $39 .. on sale. I've picked it up and came close to buying it numerous times.

It it good for drilling pen blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I have sharpened some of these for people and find the quality of steel questionable, but they will sharpen and should do a decent job drilling wood. (So, that may nt be an abjectable answer, but[:D])

btboone

I got the cobalt set. There are a lot of times when I would buy onesies for drilling titanium, and they were adding up. I bit the bullet and got a full set. They seem to work well.

Randy_

Thanks, Bruce. I've held off on buying either set and always been a little worried about the quality of the $40 set. I know quite a few people have purchased them and been satisfied; but......

I do have a Drill Doctor and I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to sharpen them a little more frequently; but I have this "thing" about sharp drill bits and always like to have the absolute best that I can afford.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by btboone
<br />I got the cobalt set. There are a lot of times when I would buy onesies for drilling titanium, and they were adding up. I bit the bullet and got a full set. They seem to work well.
I would tend to trust this set more, myself as well.

Dario

If Bruce says it (cobalt) is good enough...it probably is much better tahn I would hope for.

Now I am sorry buying the TN coated ones [B)]

DocStram

Originally posted by Dario
<br />If Bruce says it (cobalt) is good enough...it probably is much better tahn I would hope for.

Now I am sorry buying the TN coated ones [B)]

Stay calm, D. If you're cheapo HF set has been working just fine ..... stay with them. Besides, I suspect that Bruce uses his cobalt set for more than just wood.

btboone

It's just that cobalt withstands higher heat than high speed steel. When drilling titanium with HSS, you can watch it immediately weld to the part. Cobalt is better in that regard. Heat is what kills drills. For wood, it's not as much of an issue.

Dario

Al,

I got them as backup...haven't used any of them yet. I am still using the ones I got from CSUSA and ArizonaSilhouette and my DeWalt set (29 pc?).

Can't have enough tools [:D]

stevers

Watch the brad point type bits. I have some cheapies and the point isn't centered on the tip of the bit. In the drill press they wont start correctly, they tend to wander quite a bit. If you get split point, you should be OK. Thats where the "Drill Doctor" will become your best friend.

Tea Clipper

I love my set and can't say enough good things about it. [:D] I'm just now starting to use the drill doctor after one year of excellent service. $40 is well spent. [I have the 115 degree set, but 135 is just fine and drill doctor will sharpen/convert either or.]

stevers

They say the steeper angle will enter the wood (or whatever material) better and not wander as much. But it is also a more aggressive cut. So the 135 may dig and tare a little more. The 115 will be a little more forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom