HELP!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

So there I was, sanding a hollow form, and I shut my lathe off. I turned it back on, but nothing happened! I checked my frequency inverter, and there are numbers lit up on it, but I can't find anything that will tell me how to troubleshoot that. When I run the knob up on my speed control, the numbers go up on the frequency inverter. I read power at the motor, and there is nothing there. That tells me that either the speed control is bad on the head stock, or the frequency inverter is bad. Anyone have any thoughts? I have a market next weekend that I am in dire need of inventory for, and now this... Oh, I have a general international 25-650. I bought it in 2006, and this is the first problem I have ever had with it. I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

So I go back out, and try the lathe again, it works. I have no idea what happened, but as long as it keeps working I'm happy. If anyone has any thoughts here, they'd be appreciated. I was using a belt sander from the same plug as the lathe, and the only thing I can think of is that for some reason I overloaded the frequency inverter, even though it only powers the lathe, and had nothing to do with the belt sander...

Jim Burr

Banned
I do this thing on my 1642...I'll turn the rpm down and hit the big red button. Pull the big red button and nuthin! Then I come to my senses and turn the big black knob to the right and Whapo!!! It works!! Guessing that's not your problem...just felt like self deprecating for a moment!

Woodnknots

So now it's doing it again. I read voltage at the on/off switch and it is 33v both sides. The frequency inverter seems like it is doing what it is supposed to, but how to know for sure? I'm going to leave it unplugged for awhile and see if that helps. The inverter indicates "stop" and I can't get it to indicate "run". Not sure what's happening, but I think the inverter might be bad.

Last edited:

Woodnknots

Unfortunately for me and anyone else who uses their weekends to create inventory, they are not answering the phone. I'll have to call from work tomorrow. I have a show next weekend and am going to be VERY light on product if I can't figure this out. At the very least I have to turn about 10 strikers for my pot calls.

Pens By Scott

Is it possible that the motor is overheating? Or you might have a dead spot? Have you tried turning the spindle a little (I fall back to my old cars and their starter motors, had one that I had to put in first and roll the car about a foot in order for the starter to catch).
I could be out to lunch though.

Woodnknots

figured it out!! It is the on button. I got a call back from General International, and they are sending me the part free of charge. Didn't even ask me how old my lathe was! Only other company that I've found with customer service that good is CSUSA. I haven't received the part, but I've got my lathe working again, and I was sent an inventory, so I know that part is on it's way. BTW, for the money, I can't recommend any other comparable lathe than the General. I've turned some pretty nice stuff on it. It has a few minor quirks that I wish it didn't, but I've never been too inconvenienced by any of it.

Top Bottom