Long Overdue Recognition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

This is something that I've been meaning to say for awhile now, and it's long overdue.

For the past 14 years, I've been in a unique employment situation. Without getting into too many details, suffice it to say that I've worked out of a warehouse (with a makeshift office including a heavy duty desk), and been on call literally 24/7. Basically, I was very fortunate in that my employer/s gave me great latitude in what I could do, as well as to personal usage of their property and assets, while pretty much working from home. One year when my boss found out that I like to bow hunt, he even suggested that could set up an archery range in the warehouse to shoot while waiting for deliveries, and went so far as suggesting how to set it up. IOW, I was allowed free reign on the shop/warehouse, and other property/assets under my purview, and could pretty much do as I feel as long as I kept up with deliveries, inventory, and billing while keeping the customers happy.

Needless to say, when I started turning pens last year, I quite surprisedly accumulated a bit of equipment. As there was no space at my apartment, and I had free reign of the warehouse, I set up my shop at work, and that's where I did all of my woodworking (including pen turning).

Last year was when I first contacted Eric (Buzzzz4) about doing a cast for me on a piece of cherry that had some decay. I'd noticed from the forums that he lived in my area, and since I had admired his work, it made sense to me to approach him about it. Of course he did a great job with the piece, and that pen is really something special.

Since then, Eric and I have grown to become good friends. He helped me polish up my techniques for CA finish, and has not only cast cobra for me, but has gifted me so many of his beautiful Graffiti Blanks, and home casts that for a while it became a running joke between the two of us how every time I left his house he'd manage to send a few blanks with me. I've been so abundantly blessed with acrylics (awesome ones at that) that I have to make time to turn wood (which I've always loved). It truly is a blessing to have someone like him (an award winning caster/turner), who lives only about 3-4 miles from me.

Fast forward to December 15 of last year when my boss informed me that he could no longer keep my warehouse running, so had to close it down by the first of the new year. This meant loosing not only my job, but also the storage space I was using, and the shop space I was using for woodworking.

This was a very stressful time for me as I was suddenly faced with many decisions on how to not only move forward with my life/career, but also the logistics of all my personal belongings, as well as my responsibility to begin the process of emptying the warehouse of all my employer's assets, and generally insuring the place was suitable for the land lord of the warehouse as the vacating tenant. This would have been enough even if I'd had more than 17 days to do it in, but it was also centered on two of the biggest holidays of the year.

My first responsive decision was that I was most likely going to have to give up pen turning, at least for a little while. Even if I were to find a place to store my machines and equipment, I still wouldn't have a place to use them. I figured I could probably sell some stuff on Craigs list to "make room", and maybe even put some items available on these forums. Mind you, this was just one of the things to take care of, with all the other logistics of the situation. And, all centered around the holidays, much of which I'd be gone.

As Eric is my "turning buddy", I called him once I'd had a chance to land on my feet, and informed him of this decision. (I figured I'd give him first shot at some of the things I had since he is a friend, and I know I have some kits, and things that he could use.

However, before I could even get to that part, he almost immediately said that I could set up my lathe in his shop, and turn there whenever I wanted. It is an understatement to say that, "I was stunned." Its one thing to invite someone into your home, but let's face it, "…Let him set up shop…" has been a negative catch phrase for a reason. Because I knew the problems that could arise out of such a situation, I suggested he pray about it before making that decision. I couldn't help but later get a chuckle out of it when he responded to that by saying, "Yeah, maybe I'll check with the wife, but I don't think it will be a problem." Somehow, going from, "Ask God", to, "I'll ask the wife." just strikes me as humorous (I hope she appreciates this level of regard to which he holds her).

Not only was I able to turn pens in his shop, but he also let me put some of my other belongings in his garage and home. This was very generous on its face, but it was enough that it basically filled up his garage.

Since then, I've been able to turn pens, and the arrangement also worked out so that we could share equipment (one can get spoiled when they have a lathe for turning and another for buffing without having to swap out mandrels). Eric and his wife have been the epitome of "gracious hosts", even though I'm sure there have been times when I've tested their patience (I remember when he didn't say anything when I stayed a little late one night to finish up Smitty's pen, and that's probably just one example). They've opened their house, and family to me, and have even given me dinner on several occasions. There were even times when Eric would volunteer to pick me up or drive me home (no car right now) if he had the time. My only hope is that I am an equally gracious guest, and they are a tough act to follow.

I had actually planned on doing this during the bash because I was under the mistaken impression that the, "Name that Shop", competition was instead a, 'Show Us Your Shop" competition. I surmised that since he was using his shop to "give" to another, then he had the best shop. And, since my shop was real life example of such gracious generosity, it would further provide the reason for such reward. I thought it a great way to recognize/reward someone for such a deserving action. Sadly, my plans were dashed when I realized the error of my intentions.

That is why I decide to write this. Eric and his wife (as well as their adorable children) deserve recognition for what they've done, and not just for me. That is simply the type of people they are, and we can all benefit from not only their example, but also their presence.

BradG

Eric, i tip my hat to you.

I too, just as im sure many others have, done deeds which certainly go the extra mile by a long, long stretch without expecting anything back in return, so long, in my opinion they are grateful and thankful of your efforts - and not how we would say "take the p*ss". Its clear here ghostrider is a gent, and my hats tipped for you also for your accolades towards Eric. even from a third parties view such as my own thats honorable.

I hope you find new work swiftly and find yourself in a situation where all your things are under your own roof soon enough :)

Oh an Eric, id like to order a couple of your mini cone blanks please. Drop me a PM when you have some time.

All the best to you both,
Brad

seamus7227

Wow, that is a great story. thank you for sharing your personal life, im sure that could have its own struggles. But we can do anything through Christ who gives us strength!

Top Bottom