Help Needed - Broken pen and Rollster Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I have 2 questions for you:

1) A couple of weeks ago I made this drumstick pen for my daughter. It was made from a Jr. Gent I - the cap is triple threaded, so the label on the drumstick only lines up 1/3 of the time, unless you know at what position to put the lid back on. Well, she was showing it to one of her friends and her friend's father snatched it and messed around with it. He couldn't get the label to match up so he turned it REALLY hard . . . . Yep - he actually broke the plastic threads inside the cap.
attachment.php

That little black piece is part of the insert from inside the cap. It still screws on nicely to the pen body. Any ideas on a fix for this? I have thought about trying to glue it back in with some CA, but getting it in just the right position would require me to insert it while it is screwed onto the pen body, and I am afraid the entire pen would end up glued together. Keep in mind, the cap pieces are epoxied into the drumstick. Again, I think I am stuck, but just looking for suggestions.

QUESTION 2: The Rollester pen (or maybe a Zen)
- Thinking about my problems above, I was wondering if the Rollester Rollerball kit might provide a solution to the problem (I'm not sure if this is a magnetic cap or snap cap or something else). I've never used one of these kits. If you have used it, do you think the cap has enough grip/strength to stay on if it has half of a drumstick stuck to it?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 755
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I love it when people mess around with pens and end up giving them back to you in pieces because they twisted the wrong way (mainly happens with Sierra and cigar styles) or in your case twisted too much!

I don't know if it is worth trying to get the remainder out of after taking some measurements of how far it is inserted into the cap and seeing if you can find just that part or "sacrifice" a pen kit for that part? Gluing it would be tricky and any glue that seeps into the threads will ruin any chance of ever screwing the cap back on again.

Have you looked at a magnetic graduate or vertex if you are worried about the grain lining up?

lyonsacc

I love it when people mess around with pens and end up giving them back to you in pieces because they twisted the wrong way (mainly happens with Sierra and cigar styles) or in your case twisted too much!

I don't know if it is worth trying to get the remainder out of after taking some measurements of how far it is inserted into the cap and seeing if you can find just that part or "sacrifice" a pen kit for that part? Gluing it would be tricky and any glue that seeps into the threads will ruin any chance of ever screwing the cap back on again.

Have you looked at a magnetic graduate or vertex if you are worried about the grain lining up?

I thought about sacrificing a kit to fix this one, but I would probably just toss this and make another. There were a few flaws with this one that I can improve on next time.

KenV

Dave

I have used two small-tinyl dots on pen and cap to line up at the start of putting the cap on.

Have obtained replacement parts from CUSA in years past. You may be able to press a 2nd sleeve into the cap. check measurements as it will be close.

Skiprat made a jig for removing such things severa years back. can be done.

Top Bottom