Help identifying broken mechanical pencil component

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DanP

I'll preface this by saying I have no knowledge of penturning. Neither do I know if I'm in the right place – but you seem a competent bunch, so I'm hoping you'll help me out!

I was gifted a handmade mechanical pencil that I have unfortunately now dropped, breaking the inside mechanism (premade and manufactured). The cone is no longer screwed in place, meaning that when I push the button, the cone extends and retracts with the spring.

F2B02795-4ADA-42A2-A150-2B98E95D1693.jpeg

I think I have identified the problem. As you can see in the zoomed in picture, the bit that the cone screws unto has broken off the shaft, meaning the cone can no longer be screwed in place.

I hope to fix this pencil but because of my ignorance I don't know where to start. This pencil was bought at a crafts market at a woodworking stand, so I should in theory be able to replace the pencil insides with new components.

Does anyone recognize the kit and/or components used?

I'll be grateful for any help!

EC82C205-3AB6-4B8E-BC21-50C79BFB2C5C.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DanP

I see the similarities but not an exact match no, darn! I will have to continue searching.

DanP

That looks like a Slimline kit. They are offered through a few different vendors.
Is there another piece, perhaps, still inside the pen. Looks kind of like a hex nut.

It looks very similar to that one – they both even have the dark feature on the clip, although the end of my clip is rounded.

I haven't been able to locate any other parts than on my photo, except the components glued down on the wood (tubes etc).

I did some digging into the Christmas market I went to and I found a list of vendors. I might have located the maker, and I will contact him!

monophoto

Don't think it was a redressed Pentel. Looks very much like PSI's Slimline Pro Kit. If that's what is is, there should be a black inlay on the clip.

Best solution is probably to disassemble it and replace the mechanism.

penicillin

Asking: Can we see a photo of the clip from the broken pencil kit in the original post?

I believe that is a Penn State Slimline Pro pencil kit:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKPCLXXCH.html

(I also checked the pencils in a regular Slimline pencil kit and a Long Wood pencil kit, both purchased at the local Rockler store. They are NOT a match for the one pictured in the original post.)

While searching Penn State Industry's website, I noticed that there is a separately sold Slimline Pro pencil conversion mechanism, but that part has a black plastic piece that I did not find in my Slimline Pro kit. It may NOT be the correct part because of the black piece. Note that it is on clearance. NOT A MATCH TO YOURS:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKPENXSPC.html

The Slimline Pro is one of my favorite pen and pencil sets to make for myself. They are right sized. Some people do not like the mechanisms. Pay attention to tube and blank length - there is zero room for error or the pen tip extension will not be correct. Penn State now sells an "EDC" version of the Slimline Pro pen kit, but I have not tried it.

Photos:
(1) My favorite desk pencil, disassembled. Blank is a "Glow Stonez" Kryptonic acrylic (glows in the dark). It is hard to see, but there is a seam in the middle of the mechanism, where the top half pushes into the bottom half to extend the pencil lead.
(2) Same pencil, showing the pen and pencil kit that I keep at my desk. I took that photo a few years ago.
(3) Penn State Slimline Pro Pencil kit. I always keep the Slimline Pro pen/pencil kits on hand in gold and chrome to have for gifts.

Slimline Pro Pencil.JPG

Slimline Pro Kryptonite Glow Stonez.JPG

Slimline Pro Chrome Pencil Kit.JPG

Last edited:

darrin1200

@DanP I think the PSI Slimline Pro, that others pointed you to, is definitely a winner.
Now the trick is to find it near you. Hopefully you can reconnect with the maker, as he probably has a few unmade kits in his stash.

DanP

I have indeed found the maker who has been so kind as to ship me another mechanism. I'll update my post once I have my hands on it!

Thanks for the help. Before I lacked the vocabulary to adequately describe what was the problem but your various responses really gave me the words to find a solution!

DanP

Asking: Can we see a photo of the clip from the broken pencil kit in the original post?

I believe that is a Penn State Slimline Pro pencil kit:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKPCLXXCH.html

(I also checked the pencils in a regular Slimline pencil kit and a Long Wood pencil kit, both purchased at the local Rockler store. They are NOT a match for the one pictured in the original post.)

While searching Penn State Industry's website, I noticed that there is a separately sold Slimline Pro pencil conversion mechanism, but that part has a black plastic piece that I did not find in my Slimline Pro kit. It may NOT be the correct part because of the black piece. Note that it is on clearance. NOT A MATCH TO YOURS:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKPENXSPC.html

The Slimline Pro is one of my favorite pen and pencil sets to make for myself. They are right sized. Some people do not like the mechanisms. Pay attention to tube and blank length - there is zero room for error or the pen tip extension will not be correct. Penn State now sells an "EDC" version of the Slimline Pro pen kit, but I have not tried it.

Photos:
(1) My favorite desk pencil, disassembled. Blank is a "Glow Stonez" Kryptonic acrylic (glows in the dark). It is hard to see, but there is a seam in the middle of the mechanism, where the top half pushes into the bottom half to extend the pencil lead.
(2) Same pencil, showing the pen and pencil kit that I keep at my desk. I took that photo a few years ago.
(3) Penn State Slimline Pro Pencil kit. I always keep the Slimline Pro pen/pencil kits on hand in gold and chrome to have for gifts.

View attachment 350496

View attachment 350498

View attachment 350497
And may I just add that that is indeed a very fine pencil

Bope

I was hoping you found a source to buy these mechanisms. I like the look of the Slimline Pro pencil but that threaded section on the mechanism is very delicate and even comes broken in the kits sometimes.

Top Bottom