Hello one and all from Utah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RedJeepClub

Hello,
I feel like I know some you all already, I have been lurking and learning a lot lately. I started turning about 6 months ago. The spark and desire to turn wood was set in me during high school wood shop(20 years ago), I have the first bowl I turned in high school on my desk at work. A guy I work with started turning about two years ago and once I heard all his stories, I found yet another hobby.

I have since purchased two lathes, a band saw, a couple 100 pen blanks, and 70+ pen kits, and found a source for cabinet maker cutoffs. Hook line and sinker, I'm into the pen turning, and as a bonus, my 14 year old daughter, just finished a Wood shop class and is becoming a better pen turner than I am.

We have built about 20 pens and we have a lot of fun in store. I have overcome most of the beginner challenges, except the tips cracking on final assemble. I am working on this, and know I need to clean and debur the tubes before install. I am still working on building the "perfect" pen press.

We are concentrating on the "Slim Line" pens, but have not yet made a slim line, we jumped right into the advanced variations from the Rex and Kip videos and make most pens without the center band.

Oh and one last thing, I am joining the Freedom Pen movement, and plan to make 10 pens and send them right away.

Some of my turning adventures are documented here:
http://woodturners.blogspot.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RedJeepClub

Wood turning is cheap compared to my Jeep Habit.

I don't even have a jeep, just a 4-runner, but welcome from GA.

Jeeps, 4-runners, 4x4's in general, love them all.

So far my wood turning habit is cheap compared to my Jeep Habit. I see a few pictures of Jeeps around here. The RedJeepclub.com is one a site I have info about my Jeep adventures.

I am also glad to help people with Website stuff, I have a few websites and if I can get the time I can figure it out.

Woodlvr

Hi Ian, welcome from Midvale, a whole couple of miles away. Good luck with your penturning and welcome aboard. You cannot find a greater bunch of mentors and the amount of knowledge that they possess anywhere else. Do you shop at Woodcraft? There are some good penturning employees still working there, Paul for one.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Ian. I know you will have fun with this madness and do well here. I also know that you already have experience in turning. Never the less - I am including a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish to pens to tools to methods etc. It is not in detail or comprehensive but a good overview of pen turning.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

oldsmokey

As a native of Utah and a graduate of East High School, welcome to the site.
There is a cabinet door Co. on State St. approximatly 120 So. that should be able to provide you with a lot of wood for pen blanks.

Top Bottom