Hello from D.C.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myslef. I live outside of Washington D.C. in South Riding, VA (Chantilly). I've been turning pens for several months now. I've sold some to co-workers, friends and family. I'd like to eventually become more active in selling my pens on the side, but for now, I've still got alot to learn. I've found so much information on this site already and I thank all of the current members for sharing your experiences. I love building things and making things and always have and I think pen making is something that I'll do as long as I physically can.
For those of you who do alot of segmented pens, do you usually draw out designs as you think of them or just grab some pieces of wood and design as you go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome from Japan! Segments: I think some draw them out and some just imagine them and build from there. I do some simple segments on occasion and the designs all come from my imagination. On one, I did have to measure and cut the segments to close tolerances for the right proportions.

Rstyleusa

Welcome from Fairfax!! Glad to see another local person joining up. There are quite a few of us DC/MD/DE metro area here.

Enjoy the knowledge here, there is a lot of it and some great pens and ideas come from viewing the posts.

glycerine

Thanks for the info and warm welcomes.
Rstyle, I notice that you sell at retail locations. What type of stores do you guys usually approach to sell your pens in?

Rstyleusa

Glycerine,

My friend has a high end custom clothing store in Arlington. I have a small display at this store and cannot keep up with the demand for the high end kits. I think you have to strike up the right conversation with the right store...but be careful of the commission thing. I believe there are quite a few threads concerning retail sales, do a search on 'commission'.

glycerine

Glycerine,

My friend has a high end custom clothing store in Arlington. I have a small display at this store and cannot keep up with the demand for the high end kits. I think you have to strike up the right conversation with the right store...but be careful of the commission thing. I believe there are quite a few threads concerning retail sales, do a search on 'commission'.

Thank you.

carverken

welcome from Manassas - Independant Hill to be exact. I dont get as much shop time as I would like but we have several turners in Manassas and Manassas Park. I hope to meet up with you at the NOVA picnic and gatherings. Ken

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California where the scarlett buglars and mallows are blooming on the hillsides.

Hope you enjoy this journey. I've only done a few segmenting. I kind of work it out as I go along. There are lots of resources in the Library on segmenting.

Druid

Welcome Glycerine,
You've come to the right place, good folks that are willing & eager to share years of knowledge/skill and sound advise.

Top Bottom