Hello everyone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AdventiveIowa

I just found this site recently, I've never turned a pen before in my life, but I'm excited to start out.

I've got a metal lathe and I'm looking at starting by turning a brass pen. It's a bit ambitious, but I'm not really interested in making wooden pens at the moment, and I've been wanting a good heavy brass pen (I need to feel like I'm holding something when I write).

Any tips on turning metal are gladly taken, I'm also using this project to dust off the cobwebs of my lathe skills, so tips on turning speed would be great.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to do a #6 Joel nib unit (which requires a custom thread and I'm not 100% certain what the thread is to be honest) or sizing it to press fit and stealing a #6 nib unit from a Jinhao and then just replacing the nib itself for better performance.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts here, I'm excited to learn about this fine art.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hello Hank !! . Warm welcome to IAP !! :)

There are a lot of people here who use metal-working lathes for pens. . I think it is ideal, actually, and have used one for 10 years.

A brass pen is certainly a noble ambition. . I just (nearly) completed an aluminum pen this weekend, but its not ready for display.

You asked about lathe speed ... I like to keep it as low as possible ... within reason. . Higher speed for the very fine finishing cuts.
So with metals, somewhere around 400 rpm, going up to 800+ or so for finishing cuts .

Both brass and aluminum can be a bit "sticky" to turn. . Do a trial run on some scrap metal if you can.

You may not be interested in wood, but it could be advisable while you are getting reacquainted with your lathe.

Another nice material is Alumilite, which is a type of resin, but quite different from acrylic. . Check with vendors and ask around.
It is not exactly cheap, but it turns beautifully and some of our IAP members make pen blanks from it and sell to others.

BTW, when you mention the "Joel" nib ... did you mean "Jowo" ? The Jowo #6 and Jowo #5 nibs seem to crop up often here so there are plenty of people who are familiar with the threads. . I think I have that info somewhere. . Bock nibs also popular.

In fact, there is currently a "Group Buy" in progress here for taps and dies. . Those required for nib mounting are among them.
Do a search for "Group Buy" or ask someone here (me ?) to send you the URL if you are currently interested in joining "the buy".
This opportunity crops up every couple of years or so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom