Heat Sublimated UFO Inlay Bottle Stopper; with souvenirs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

We knew they were out there, and I was grateful for a generous albeit brief visit.

They left me a nice heat sublimated UFO image-inlaid exotic wood bottle stopper at our UFO party - also left me some souvenir mugs after we savored some exotic espresso.

I was curious about the bowling ball token. They said that intergalactic league play is going well - but best to wear a helmet to minimize risk of injury related to gravitational variation.

UFOParty,markison,2021,1000px.jpg

They came in peace.

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'll be sure NOT to show these to my granddaughter as she's a big space nut. Next year for her high school graduation we're taking her to Florida to visit the Kennedy Space Center and some other attractions. I show her these and she'll want me to give them a shot. Nice work as usual Bob, I'm more than impressed...again.

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks to Peter, Ken, Mark, Mal, Pete, Joe, Chuck, Tom and those who have looked and liked!

Mark - I have fond future memories of George Jetson!

Mal - I'm liking the new term UFOTIC!

Tom - Your granddaughter is onto something.

Pete - Here's the dye sublimation definition:
"Dye sublimation features the following two-part process:
  1. Print graphics onto special transfer paper using sublimation inks
  2. Use a heat press to transfer the ink-on-paper to the substrate"
Here's how I did it:
Discs
:
I loaded an Epson 3760 Ecotank printer with Cosmos brand sublimation inks instead of inkjet ink
I created the artwork by hand in various real media, then digitally refined it in PhotoShop.
I then resized the images and printed them onto Crafting Besties brand dye sublimation papers.
I used aluminum dye sublimation blanks (from Etsy) for the discs.
I taped the images face down onto the discs with heat proof tape.
Then used a Cricut Minipress to transfer the images, 380 degrees, 30 seconds, with light down-pressure; quickly peeled off the taped image, and revealed the permanent light fast image.
I domed the printed metal discs on a hardwood dapping block, then inlaid them into the lathe-turned/tung-oil finished hardwood.
Niles S-9000 stopper threaded into a Niles brass insert in the turned wood.

Mugs
:
I used a Heat Press Nation brand (6-in-1) mug press for the cups - 360-380 degrees x 3 minutes.

HeatDyeSublimationMugWithConvertedInkjetPrinter,markison,2021.jpg

I'm planning some little experiments that will likely find their way into pens (and other things).

Heat/dye sublimation is fun, simple, and versatile.

ParakeetMiniMug,markison,2021.jpg

Warm regards to all - Bob

Top Bottom