Heat resistant glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
If it is on here I can't find it. Is there a "glue" that will hold up to powdercoating temps. It really has nothing to do with pen turning but I suppose it would be applicable. Need to glue some brass or aluminum stuff and if possible would like to be able to glue some pieces prior to. Any ideas or am I "peeing in the wind".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

FWIW, maybe JB weld, but using it in a pen tube will be almost impossiable. If you are looking to PC casings with the tubes installed, I solder mine in place. The solder, while seeming to have a lower melting temp, does not have any problem getting baked.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I just assumed the solder would "melt out" guess maybe not thanks for the input, mine is not necessarily a pen application but the info could be usefull

pssherman

I've seen some epoxy in putty form, at Walmart, that could handle the temps used in powder coating. Perhaps it would be suitable for the application you have in mind.

As for solder, its melting temperature is well above 400F. Packaging often shows the temperature in Celcius. 400F is the same as 204C. I had some solder that did not show what the melting temperature was. I cut off a piece and put it a toaster oven at 400F for 20 minutes. It not even get soft.

Paul in AR

Randy_

Originally posted by Gary Max

You can find the glue but the price is out of sight---JB Weld has a high temp. I think it was $17.00 for a very small tube.

I haven't bought any in a while; but last time I did, it was a lot less than $17??

jwoodwright

Randy, there are a couple different JB Weld. one is pricey and it's for high temp, like a manifold and it is a small tube... I thought it was just Alaska, where Retail charges extra.

Your McDonalds has a Dollar Menu, our's is $1.50... Same for Wendy's...

alamocdc

Originally posted by hunter-27

I just assumed the solder would "melt out" guess maybe not thanks for the input, mine is not necessarily a pen application but the info could be usefull

Even if the solder were to melt, the chances of it running out are slim. When you solder the brass or copper tubing capillary action "draws" the solder into the joint. A combination of this same capillary action and surface tension will keep the solder in place unless force is applied to extract it.;)

Randy_

Originally posted by jwoodwright

Randy, there are a couple different JB Weld. one is pricey and it's for high temp, like a manifold and it is a small tube... I thought it was just Alaska, where Retail charges extra.

Maybe there is a trade version that is not available to the general; but the J-B WELD web site does not show such a hi-temp product. Here is what the web site has to say about the temperature characteristics of the basic J-B Weld formulation:

Q: How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?
A: J-B Weld (Part # 8265-S, 8265, and 8280) can withstand a constant temperature of 500 degrees F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 degrees F for a short term (10 minutes).

Q: Will J-B Weld work on an automotive exhaust?
A: Because of the extreme temperatures of exhaust systems, we do not recommend J-B Weld for use on exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Nor do we recommend the product for repairs within the combustion chamber.

Price varies a little depending on the vendor; the the standard package that you purchase at the auto parts store is about $6.00± for two one ounce tubes....one resin and one hardener.

great12b4ever

There is a company In NJ that sells a 2 part epoxy with mixing applicator that shows a working temperature range of the epoxy to be from -60 to +400F for extended use. The product is called Master Bond Polymer System EP65HT-1. This epoxy has a set-up of 3-5 minutes and a full cure within 2-3 hours and has a high tensile shear strength approaching 3,000 psi. It also meets NASA low-outgassing requirements. Its mixing ratio is 10:1, with a shelf life of over 1 year. Here is a link to their site: www.masterbond.com and e-mail at main@masterbond.com

rherrell

Solder is made from tin and lead. The more tin the lower the melting point. 60/40 solder(60%tin) melts at 375 degrees. 50/50 would be somewhat higher. Little known facts you pick up from being a tin bender your whole life!

pssherman

According to the tin-lead phase diagram, solders having between 56% and 74% tin will be a liquid at 400 degrees F. If the amount of tin is not within this range it will not be completely melted at 400 degrees but will become "slushy" when the temperature goes above 361 degrees. This will appear to have small chunks of solid surrounded by a liquid. The partially melted solder may be able to hold its shape if there is not too much pressure acting on it.

Paul in AR

Firefyter-emt

FWIW, I used one of my sander mills on the solder and it left scratch patterns in the solder that were exactly the same after I powdercoated at 400 for 20 minutes after flow out. I did not see any change at all in the solder. My assumption is that the casing did not reach 400 degrees itself in that time frame.

The one I baked with CA melted and made a "crusty mess" though.

Top Bottom