Head Spinng - Best Chuck for JML-1014VSI?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

B Wo

Hello All,

Until now, I've been turning pens on a little Sherline 4530 lathe. I like my tiny Sherline, but it is in no way optimized for turning wood. The wear and tear is becoming pretty evident, and I don't want it to meet an untimely end at my novice wood-working hands. So, I bought a JML-1014VSI.

I have scoured the forums and the interweb, trying to determine the best chuck to buy for it. Based on what I've found, I don't think my ideal chuck exists. Here is a little more background info:

• I'd like the chuck to offer keyed, one-handed operation.
• I'd like it to be compatible with small flat jaws.
• I don't think I will be turning anything over 1 1/2", at least right away.

I have been leaning towards either the Nova G3 or the Barracuda 2, but are those chucks too big for a JML-1014VSI?

It looks like my ideal chuck is a keyed Nova Precision Midi chuck, but to my knowledge, that doesn't exist. And the Barracua Micro isn't compatible with flat jaws.

I throw myself at the mercy of the forum's expertise. Your help and insight would be greatly appreciated. I am at wit's end.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
According to what I can find on the web since I dont own one, your spindle thread is 1x8. An Atlas 618 6 inch lathe uses 1x8 and they have used and new 4 inch, 3 jaw chucks on ebay. Shars.com has 3 and 4 jaw scroll chucks that you buy a backing plate to match your threads. I have one of their 4 jaw scroll chucks and it works fine. Beall tool company along with a couple others offer collet chucks with that thread.

B Wo

Mike, that Shars.com site has some really cool stuff. Got distracted by the Pen Wizard on the Beall site. That is a neat machine.

Silverado, Mark, thank you for sharing your firsthand experience with the Nova and Barracuda with the JML-1014VSI, specifically.

I feel much better.

PenMan1

Mike is correct. The head size is 1X8 on the Jet. The Nova Midi fits the lathes with no adapter rings, etc. This is my favorite chuck for several reasons.

First you can usually find this chuck on sale somewhere for under $100 with at least two sets of jaws. Second, my Nova Midis turn truer than either the G3 or Baracuda. Third, all Nova jaws fit all Nova chucks. This is NOT the case with many other chuck makers. Finally, with a lathe with an index lock (you jet has one), I find loading the chuck MUCH easier using one tommy bar and the index lock. It seems that I need three hands to load a chuck using a geared key. The key hole always seems to be exactly in the wrong place for simple tightening.

B Wo

Thanks, Andy. You're making a pretty strong case for the Nova Precision Midi chuck. I like that Nova jaws are interchangeable among all of their models, so if I decide to take a step up, anything I've invested in it will be compatible w/ a G3.

Thanks, all. You've given me really good feedback to consider.

alankulwicki7

I've had both the Nova Midi and Barracuda chucks. They both have good points.

The Nova jaws are interchangeable with other chuck series but the Barracuda comes with many different jaws.

I think the tolerances are a little better with the Nova but if you want to save a little money than go with the Barracuda....

Also, if you go with the Midi, try to find one with the threaded insert. Some are direct thread for 1"-8 and then if you upgrade to a lathe with 1 1/4"-8, you must use an adapter. If you have the threaded insert model, you can just get the different insert.

I just went through this when I upgraded my lathe...

Last edited:
Top Bottom