Have a serious problem!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

It's called Lakapraktis. Lack of practice at turning caused the demise of two nice acrylic blanks. One got a catch and broke off half of the blank. Naturally I was about 80% finished. The other had a catch and resulted in a ring of little dimples and not enough blank to eliminate them. Got the third blank turning on the lathe and realized I wasn't "finding the bevel" and moving the tool to start cutting. I was presenting the roughing gouge head on! Duh! It's odd but my wife diagnosed the illness right off. Should have sent her to medical school.👩‍⚕️

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hang in there Mark my friend. My wood and tools are the last to go !!!! Will be 88 on Sunday . Might even turn a pen !!!!!!!!
I feel better this AM Joe. Just need to get some projects to draw me back. I have been spying on the turned Gnomes - they might be a good gift for my sons/daughters next year.

jrista

Lakapraktis. 🤣

Well, sometimes, its also, Lakatoolitis. You need a negative rake carbide cutter. In my experience, the risks of breaking a resin blank drop DRAMATICALLY when using a negative rake carbide. You have a number of options for exactly how to use it, too, including in a sheer cutting angle, which softens the blow even more. I have had I think just two resin blank blow up on me in the last...well, I guess its been close to two and a half years now since I first started pens. In both cases, the problem was actually due to cracks near the hole, most likely caused by overl yaggressive drilling earlier on.

zig314159

Clever, with clever replies. This time of the year, I have a different challenge. The Hawaiians call it Lackamoola. Holiday wishes to all of you generous penturners and woodturners. A very sharing group of people.

jrista

Catches are operator error and not related to the tool being used. Change technique not the tool. Probably not what one wants to hear.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Two things:

1) I understand that you are saying skill is important, and it is!
2) There is such a thing as the right tool for the job. You CAN use the wrong tool...or even a less than optimal tool...and get results. Using a more optimal tool for the job, though, can give you better results. This, IMO, is a part of improving in skill! ;)

My two 🪙🪙

Woodchipper

Catches are a part of turning. I ruined two blanks as mentioned earlier. I presented the roughing gouge either straight into the blank or presented the tool below the "center line." My grandson had this happen but he had enough blank to "erase" the dimples in the acrylic.
As for the right tool, view the video of the man in Morocco using a skew bow powered lathe and a file. Talk about basics! I'll see if I can find it. Here it is, never get tired of watching him.

Top Bottom