Has Anyone Tried Fitting Negative Rake Cutters (Easy Wood) on Rockler's Carbide Turning Tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

I have three of Rockler's full side carbide turning tools. I have the diamond, round, and square radius tools. Rockler's turning tools are machined and angled to match and support the back bevels of the carbide tips. The hidden "back" cutting edge of the carbide tips is a snug fit against a matching bevel in the tool holder to hold the tip in place. Obviously, the carbide tip must be sized perfectly to fit perfectly.

Yes, even though they are full size, I use them for pens. I have tried angling my carbide tips down to simulate a negative rake cutter, but I would like to give the real negative rake cutters a try.

-> Has anyone tried fitting the Easy Wood Tools negative rake carbide tips on those Rockler full size carbide turning tools? Do they fit? (Do you have any photos of how well they fit?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

24 hours later ... 100 views ... no replies. I must not be the only person with the same question ... and no answer yet.

I called Rockler, and they told me that the Easy Wood negative rake carbide tip cutters don't fit, but they could not explain why they don't fit.

What happens if you try an Easy Woods negative rake carbide tip cutter on the matching Rockler handle? Is the negative rake carbide tip too large to fit in the Rockler handle? Is the negative rake carbide tip too small or angle wrong for the back support bevel to hold it properly in place?

monophoto

Be patient - even with computers, 24 hours is still a fairly short time to get an answer to a specialized question.

I'm not an expert on carbide cutters - I have a few shop-made carbide tools that use cutters that I bought from Captain Eddie, and the experience of making them tells me that there isn't a lot of rocket science involved in matching the cutter to the supporting bar/handle.

Keep in mind that both Rocker and EWT want to sell their own stuff. So naturally, EWT will say that their cutters will only fit their handles (because, they claim, their tolerances are so tight). And likewise, Rocker will naturally say that their handles can only be used with their cutters. And in addition to the obviously marketing issue, both companies could also be concerned that they haven't tested their stuff for compatibility with the other guy's stuf (and likely never will), and don't want to take on the legal liability that would be involved if compatibility statements prove to be wrong.

Ultimately, it may be that the only way you can answer this question is to try to mount an EWT cutter on a Rockler handle.

KenB259

woodpeckers have a conversion/compatibility chart on their site. Obviously the answer might not be in black and white, but you may be able to deduce an answer from the chart.

penicillin

The chart I was remembering is not at woodpeckers, it is here https://azcarbide.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Cross-Ref-chart-07192020.pdf Sorry for any inconvenience. Looking at it, probably wont be any help.
I appreciate the thoughtfulness. Thanks.

AZCarbide was the first place I checked to ask about negative rake cutters. They are a great resource with the best people, but they could not help me. Easy Wood Tools has patents on the negative rake cutters. I wonder when the patents run out?

Edit / Addendum: I did my own homework and found these:

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD902966S1
https://patents.google.com/patent/USD902967S1
https://patents.google.com/patent/USD902968S1

The patents were filed in 2019. The patents were awarded in 2020. The patents state that "Anticipated expiration" will be on 24 November 2035.

Last edited:
Top Bottom