Hardest thing I've made

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jackrichington

J

jackrichington

Made this with only handtools and a lathe...must have tried to bend 10 continuos arms, before I got one that didn't crack...I've found chairs to be both rewarding & unbelievably frustrating

Attachments

• DSCN0339.jpg
    DSCN0339.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Very nice! Your comment reminds me of the movie "The Patriot" where Mel Gibson tries to make a rocking chair. In the corner is a pile of broken chairs that failed.

Last edited:

VisExp

That's very impressive Jack. I admire you for tackling a chair. I think that must be one of the pinnacles in woodworking. I still have a long way to go before I try that.

leehljp

Member Liaison
My dream one day is to make a chair like that. I have two books on chairs somewhere - Windsors and Sam Maloof's! When retirement comes . . .

Beautiful work!

bitshird

That's most impressive Jack, I see a lot of plain straight back chairs made around here but That one looks as though it belongs in a fine museum, Beautiful craftsmanship.

J

jackrichington

thanks gals & guys..appreciate your kind words..learned from 2 books : Traditional Windsor Chairs by Rendi and The chairmaker's Workshop by Langnser .. I made the chair because I needed something to sit in..Neccesity is the mother of invention..

jyreene

Wow, I agree with many here. A chair seems to be one of the pinacles of turning of course a step above that would be, can you make a matching set (as I know my wife will make me if I make it that far)?

J

jackrichington

jyreene...of course I could if I wished..I started making shaker furniture..but the back legs so hard to turn due to the length..I ended up spokeshaving most of them..windsors have shorter pieces so I have made many of those..birdcage, sackbacks, etc

jyreene

I figured you could. It really just makes me wish I were back stateside so I could continue to become more addicted to turning wood. I might even be able to start a nice little side business of selling pens through contacts here. That would be nice.

J

jackrichington

wolftat: benches are useful also...I started with a 4 legged stool with splint seat..just keep at it

Top Bottom