HARBOR FREIGHT PRESSURE POT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

Well hell I got to vent.
I am new to pen making, (not woodworking) and want to also make some of my own epoxy blanks.
Just bought some Aluminite Clear Slow and knew I would need a pressure pot to make it work. Been looking and was set on California Air Tools. I really don't mind spending extra $$$ for good quality tools however I am not made of money and i could not push the button on the California pot for maybe another month. Unfortunately a Harbor Freight store just opened 12 miles from me yup looking for instant gratification so off I go to HF.
This was what followed me home
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-gallon-pressure-paint-tank-66839.html
A few more bucks to buy some fittings to modify the HF paint pot.
If you want to know how I did it just check out Jake Thompson on YouTube. I mostly played off his mods , he is really good at emptying the complete bag on stuff , very worth your time.
Here is his HF pot vid same pot I bought today.

OK now to the heartache.
See the pics here . One set of the tabs that the clamp is attached to was welded to the tank body 1/4 inch higher than the other 3 clamp assemblies. It is off enough that the screw runs out of travel before sufficient force can be applied by that clamp.
Ok no biggie the fix is simple a little grinding.....the pictures below will tell the story.
Next the pressure regulator is useless. All they way in or all out absolutely no influence on the tank pressure up or down.

OK I can use the regulator on my compressor and set it at 30 PSI for openers.

The safety valve pops off at about 15 - 18 PSI simple adjustment and it is good however the tank now LEAKS at the gasket in one specific area starting at 20 PSI

I am pi$$ed off now .....how can something be so god awful crappy well below the expectation I had for the HF cheapie price of $99.99.
I know it wasn't a Ferrari when I drove it home but holy crap it should at least make it around the track for a couple of laps.

There is a section about 10% of the circumference blowing out at 20 PSI. I pulled the gasket, other than some weld splatter in the gasket groove I see no real cause. At that point I went home from my shop as there is a canal about a few hundred yards from my shop and I was wondering if the darn thing would possibly float or be the boat anchor I think it is.
I will get back to it tomorrow but for now if ANYONE IT THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS HF PRODUCT BE WARE it looks like it doesn't even measure up to anyone's lowest expectation of a product made in China.
I will let you know if I test it for water tight qualities
calabrese55

Attachments

• low welded 1.jpg
    low welded 1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 79
  • low welded 2.jpg
    low welded 2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 75
  • correctly  welded 3.jpg
    correctly welded 3.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 79
  • standard clamp before grinding mods.jpg
    standard clamp before grinding mods.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 75
  • clamp after  grinding 4.jpg
    clamp after grinding 4.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 76
  • sufficient  travel after clamp grinding mod.jpg
    sufficient travel after clamp grinding mod.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 82
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

I'm sorry for your pain and $ spent. I've seen a number of wood turners use these, but after one look at them in the store, I caught a California pressure pot on sale at Woodcraft and pulled the trigger.

Like you, I hope to begin making my own resin and wood blanks.

Good luck.

egnald

I haven't made the leap yet. When I do I will likely go the California Air Tools route and I will likely get it from my closest Woodcraft retail (about 100 miles away). My ponderances have been more about buying the 2.5 gallon one or by spending another $100 and going for the 5 gallon model. - Dave

its_virgil

You should have immediately exchanged it. I have 5 that I use regularly. None of them leak. They will hold 45 psi until I release the pressure. I do not use the pop off valve. I do not use the regulator. I have as little as possible fitting wise: cutoff, quick connect and guage. Tuning may be required to achieve satisfaction.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

MRDucks2

You may have already tried this, but rotate the top slightly to a different position, then tightened it back down. Keep moving until it seals up. May help determine if leak is at a spot on the body or in the lid and you may find an alignment that seals up tight.

Once you find it, mark the pot and put the lid back on the same way every time. I have a pot that I have to use that way.

Todd in PA

2 years ago I watched this same Jake video and bought the same HF pot and fittings. Got lucky and a good seal. I don't to a ton of casting, but so far this has been working for me. Lucky I guess.🤷‍♂️

calabrese55

🤪 💩👎
You should have immediately exchanged it. I have 5 that I use regularly. None of them leak. They will hold 45 psi until I release the pressure. I do not use the pop off valve. I do not use the regulator. I have as little as possible fitting wise: cutoff, quick connect and guage. Tuning may be required to achieve satisfaction.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Don, unfortunately couldn't I had to modify the clamp just to get it to contribute enough pressure. By that time i had already retrofit the junk on top from paint bucket to expensive junk..
I will get it to work if i can get it to seal .
It is not so much about the $$ it as much as it doesn't work on so many levels.
Thanks MRDucks2 for the rotation suggestion. I have the bucket and lid marked will rotate the lid and see if the leak follows or hangs with the bucket.
I will report in either way.
calabrese55

JohnU

Like Don, I've been using these same pots for about 15 years with no real issues. I currently have 4 of them along with two 5 gallon California Air. If the seal leaks, I apply a couple turns with a pair of channel lock pliers on the clamps and it fixes the problem. I don't over tighten them but sometimes hand tight isn't enough to compress the seal. I've never had a clamp run out of threads and bottom out like that so I can't help you there. Best of luck with the fix.

target64

Seems like you got the "bad" one. Mine has not failed me. As to the gasket leaking , you might try flipping it over. Some people have had luck with that.

calabrese55

Seems like you got the "bad" one. Mine has not failed me. As to the gasket leaking , you might try flipping it over. Some people have had luck with that.
Thanks Target,
I will eventually get it working, your suggestion will certainly help.
I pulled the gasket yesterday and there is some weld splatter in the gasket surface of the lid. I will grind that away today. I am also going to use some silicone RTV to reset the gasket in the lid groove. It will be a pressure pot or boat anchor 50 / 50 shot either way 🤪
calabrese55

Don Knox

I haven't made the leap yet. When I do I will likely go the California Air Tools route and I will likely get it from my closest Woodcraft retail (about 100 miles away). My ponderances have been more about buying the 2.5 gallon one or by spending another $100 and going for the 5 gallon model. - Dave
Go big or stay at home! I've had the harbor freight pot for about 5 years now and it still works. Strip top of everything. Install gauge in one hole and valve and male quick disconnect in another. Plug what is left. Clean gasket seat in top and use slight amount of rtv to hold gasket in place. Tighten all knobs hand tight then about 1/2 turn with wrench. I have used mine several hundred times. 50 psi seems to work well. My biggest regret is not getting the really big fat boy California Air tool pot. Bigger is better unless you are only going to do pens, then the small one is OK. Make wrench for the wing nuts on tank, Use old 1" or larger deep socket, cut notches in opposite sides large enough to fit over wing nuts, use ratchet to turn socket. only about !/2 turn needed

Last edited:

calabrese55

Well it is fixed......cleaned out the weld splatter in the gasket lid seat, polished the lip of the bucket and made a tool to add some extra energy to the thumb screws.
Junked the pressure regulator it never worked and the pressure relief valve that was factory set too low at @ 26 pounds and I could not change using the grooves in the valve body. I have an output regulator on my compressor and I man the inlet valve on the pot when filling. So it is a fill and lock mode. I am using Aluminite slow which is about a two hour demold time so it may work.
Looks like I can try some blanks this week. I have some tactical pens due in this week going to try some blue line blanks just because now
I think I can...I think i can :p
calabrese55

Curly

I'm not a fan of relying on the regulator on the compressor. I prefer a good regulator on a short hose to the pressure pot that the line pressure is plugged into. You never know when some twit, me 🤫, will jack the compressor regulator up to 90 PSI to run an air grinder, sander or blow gun and forget to reset it when done. One moment of inattention and the pot is pressurized to Boom!!!💥 The dedicated regulator is safer. Your choice though.

jttheclockman

Don't you guys put gauges on your tanks?? Also gauges on compressors. I have a pressure gauge on tank and have had my HF tank for over 15 years and never leaked. Now I understand probably different design or company making over in China so can not speak about quality. Highest I will cast is 60lbs. Like to stay at 50 but if I have a questionable blank then go to 60. Marked lid with clamps so they always in the same place. Applied vaseline on gasket a few times to keep soft especially if I do not use for long time. Has served me well. They do scare me though and have thought about building a cage for it.

calabrese55

I'm not a fan of relying on the regulator on the compressor. I prefer a good regulator on a short hose to the pressure pot that the line pressure is plugged into. You never know when some twit, me 🤫, will jack the compressor regulator up to 90 PSI to run an air grinder, sander or blow gun and forget to reset it when done. One moment of inattention and the pot is pressurized to Boom!!!💥 The dedicated regulator is safer. Your choice though.
That is typically not a problem in my shop because the three idiots that are ever in my shop are me , myself and I .

calabrese55

Don't you guys put gauges on your tanks?? Also gauges on compressors. I have a pressure gauge on tank and have had my HF tank for over 15 years and never leaked. Now I understand probably different design or company making over in China so can not speak about quality. Highest I will cast is 60lbs. Like to stay at 50 but if I have a questionable blank then go to 60. Marked lid with clamps so they always in the same place. Applied vaseline on gasket a few times to keep soft especially if I do not use for long time. Has served me well. They do scare me though and have thought about building a cage for it.
I do have a gage on the tank and a valve on the inlet. The regulator that came with the tank will be on its way to the land fill tomorrow.
calabrese55

calabrese55

I have the Kobalt Drain Plug Wrench from Lowe's works on both my large and small pots, allows you to torque without over torquing and is odd enough it doesn't walk away from the casting area.

Click here for Kobalt Drain Plug Wrench
I have a real cheap socket set that someone gave me a very long time ago. I took one of the larger sockets and cut a slot straight across it with an angle grinder. It simply drops down over the top of the wing nut and I crank away.
calabrese55

Mike

Could the wing nuts be replaced with a longer hex head bolt? No need for a custom wrench, grinding C clamp, etc.

Mike

calabrese55

Could the wing nuts be replaced with a longer hex head bolt? No need for a custom wrench, grinding C clamp, etc.

Mike
Absolutely but I had a wild hair to get the party started and it was far easier and quicker to mod the socket than hit the road to find the correct metric bolts. Even if I could find the bolts at my first stop the rounder would taken at least a hour.
The mod took 10 minutes.
calabrese55

Mike

I get you. I live in NW Albuquerque and have Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, HF, True Value all within 5 or 10 minutes.
And I have 50 years accumulation of hardware and tools. I'm retired and old, married 50+ years and she doesn't complain when I buy tools. She tells others that ask why she "lets" me buy all the tools that she encourages it because all she has to do is have an idea and I/we build it.
Good luck with your casting. I might think about that later this year or early next. Lots of projects around the house and pens to turn.

Mike

WriteON

Anything under pressure can be dangerous. Expanding air/gas is a bomb especially in a pressure pot. I wonder if the safety relief valve works if needed. HF is good for a few things but mostly junk. Buy right the first time with certain items. Just my feelings/opinion about HF.

RGABEL

I use the HF pot for casting. My first one had a leak (could see the pinhole at the bad weld). Returned and got a replacement and it works fine. As it is with HF the quality from item to item can vary. Someday I hope to get a bigger pot for larger (bowl) castings.

Top Bottom