Halloween prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fred Bruche

Fred Bruche

Seems I have had a small out-of-round problem lately, it's kinda subtle, can you spot it?

XC3Y7780.jpg XC3Y7785.jpg

On top of that, it glows under UV light!!!
XC3Y7787.jpg XC3Y7789.jpg

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It worked like a charm, thanks a bunch @rherrell !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Very nice, very cool! Didn't know locust would fluoresce under UV...that is very interesting...

Any chance you could show the nib of the pen?

Fred Bruche

Very nice, very cool! Didn't know locust would fluoresce under UV...that is very interesting...

Any chance you could show the nib of the pen?
Another fluorescence I discovered going around the shop with a UV lamp, the red in flamed box elder pieces has a nice orange glow.
The section in these pictures was scavenged from another pen, a dedicated section made the same blank as the center band is in the making, I'll post a picture once it's finished.

sorcerertd

I like the slight unbalanced look. It seems even more custom made by hand. Also like that the center band changes color under UV, too. Do the offsets/flats/whatchamacallits line up when it's closed?

Fred Bruche

I like the slight unbalanced look. It seems even more custom made by hand. Also like that the center band changes color under UV, too. Do the offsets/flats/whatchamacallits line up when it's closed?
Thanks Todd! The picture shows what I was aiming for (this was a test piece, not a pen), a twist running along the length with the "crest" on one end would match with a flat on the other end. In the pen the junction between the cap and body would be in the middle where the "crest" is at its lowest. And by using a triple start the body and cap would always align that way. In retrospect, using honey locust was not an ideal choice for the blank, the straight grain and uneven texture made the cuts too coarse. I'll probably use maple for the next try.

image0 (7).jpeg

Top Bottom