Had to try my hand at the seam rippers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from corian king

corian king

Hello All. I had to try my hand at the seam rippers.
As you can see I did some out of corian and most of the ladies really like them.I did have a few ladies that wanted something a little bigger because they have hand problems.So with them in mind I made some out of wood and they really liked them.

Attachments

• seam ripper corian collection.jpg
    seam ripper corian collection.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 730
  • seam ripper wood collection.jpg
    seam ripper wood collection.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 676
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Red Coin

Those are really nice, especially the larger size.. the cheesy ones you get in the store are so small and slippery! I like the wooden ones best, BTW.

Thanks for posting, dee

Skye

I gotta look up your tutorial Gary. I've got a craft show at my wife's school coming up in a few months, low buck items will probably do much better than fancy shmancy pens.

W.Y.

Very nice work.
I also like the looks of the corian ones. Your work is actually the nicest I have ever seen in that particlar style of making them. Gives me an idea for my large stash of corian pen blanks..

I just signed up for thirteen consecutive Saturdays of craft fair sales starting tomorrow (Sept 25) to Dec 18 . I will see how the seam rippers go in my particular part of the country . I have given half a dozen away already but this will be the first time displaying them at craft sales.

Getting crowded here with over 100 pens and over 50 bowls and platters and segmented vessels etc and many dozens of other types of turnings so hopefully I can reduce my inventory way down so I can start the fun of making more all over again first of the year.

ldubia

Something to consider for some people. The seam rippers get dull after a while or break and get thrown away. While these look really nice and have a great feel for the person using them, the question they will ask themselves is, "Do I want to spend that much on this and have to throw it away when it breaks."

I make mine by placing the plastic cover inside the wood or other material. Then the ripper slides out and is replaceable for about $2. Of course, that means the handle has to be a bit bigger to accommodate the plastic cover internally. Of course, this is just my two cents worth.

So how do you like making the rippers?

bitshird

Something to consider for some people. The seam rippers get dull after a while or break and get thrown away. While these look really nice and have a great feel for the person using them, the question they will ask themselves is, "Do I want to spend that much on this and have to throw it away when it breaks."

I make mine by placing the plastic cover inside the wood or other material. Then the ripper slides out and is replaceable for about $2. Of course, that means the handle has to be a bit bigger to accommodate the plastic cover internally. Of course, this is just my two cents worth.

So how do you like making the rippers?

Larry I agree, When I was selling them I did a Tutorial, and I've sold over 30 complete Seam Rippers and several thousand of the Dritz seam rippers, I think after paying 10.00 to 15.00 that they people should be able to just insert a new cutter, here is a link to the tutorial I did,http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67773 I'm kind of glad you're selling them now, I still have about 60 I'm holding on to for my own use. Maybe you should do an up dated one.

ldubia

Ken,
That is the tutorial I first used when I set out to try them. It is very well written and informative. I doubt that I could do it any better.

I do like the way the rippers Jim is making look. They are very polished and classy. As I often say to many, there is always more than one way to do things. And all or none are right or wrong. (My dad said that when I was growing up and I could never figure out what he meant by that until much later in life.)

I have added thimbles to the mix as well as pin cushions. All of them are selling very well.

Top Bottom