grinding wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dachemist

I recently found myself in need of some new wheels for my 8" slow speed grinder from a slight lapse in judgement http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14145.

The way I see it I have 3 options:

1) Buy a new grinder from Woodcraft (on sale for $70 this month)

2) Buy new grinding wheels from Woodcraft (that look very similar to the ones that come with the grinder) for $30 ea ($60 total + S&H)

or

3) Buy some Norton grinding wheels from CSUSA ($65 ea, $130 total + S&H)

If the Woodcraft wheels from option 2 are of a similar quality to the wheels that come on the grinder it seems I would be better off just buying a 2nd grinder (which would leave me with an unsued grinder taking up space).

Does anyone happen to have any experience with the Norton wheels from CSUSA (or elswhere)? Do the higher quality wheels make a difference?

My tools don't seem very sharp off the grinder (probably a combination of poor technique and lack of honing). Could cheap wheels be part of the problem? I have a Wolverine jig and tend to do more harm than good (though I solely blame that on impatience and lack of experience).

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

Do your tools jump around (even slightly) when you are trying to grind the tips? If so, you need to true up your wheel. I use a diamond wheel dresser from woodcraft (about $14 or so). I still have a slight problem with the very tips jumping, but it really helped with my sharpening after I trued the wheel. Also, take VERY light passes with your tools on the wheel, and this will help eliminate the catches you are having.
As for your quandry of whether you should get the woodcraft wheels or a new grinder, I talked to a woodcraft rep about my wheels when I first bought my grinder. He said that if I had a problem with my wheels, they'd just replace the grinder, rather than the wheels, because it would be more cost effective for them. That tells me that the wheels are probable quite cheap.

Rifleman1776

I use the blue 80 grit from Woodcraft. It is the second. The first was not flat or concentric. The customer support lady told me that a certain percentage of their wheels come to them defective. They replaced with no extra shipping charges. Buy the wheels, you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom