Greetings from the (soggy) SF Bay Area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sal_campagna

I've been a long time lurker and now first time poster.

I started turning pens right around the first of December (seems we have Jet mini in the machine shop at work so that got me going). I want to thank everyone (especially George/Texatdurango) for turning me onto TBC.

It was a challenge to pickup parts at my local Woodcraft, especially after I explained why I wanted them. I was pretty much told that turning wouldn't work because the wood would just spin and that finishing would be worse because of the extra CA on the sides.

Anyhow, armed with freshly reading George's post I walked out the door and got on the web and ordered a 60 degree live and dead center from The Little Machine Shop.

Man, what a difference! I am so much happier making pens this way, especially the CA finishes (I'm a no BLO guy) it's nice not to have cracked edges from trying to cleanly pull off the bushings.

I also read the other day a post comparing trying to sell on ebay vs etsy, so I hopped on etsy and threw a couple of pens and a bottle stopper on there (http://peninsulapenworks.etsy.com). Pretty neat for the whopping sum of 80 cents.

I attached a pic of a Majestic I did a couple weeks ago, the Oak came from the trees in my backyard at my parents house.

Anyhow, just wanted to say Thank You and hi...

Attachments

• IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Welcome Sal, Now take that fine looking Rollerball you are showing a picture of and a business card size piece of paper. Write penturners.org on it. Next time you visit that woodcraft store give it to that guy that said you can't turn a pen with just bushings. If you are a smart ass type like I am you can also say something like. "If you are interested in learnign how to really turn pens, visit this place". But that is purly optional. otherwise jsut tell him that the site is loaded with people doing the impossible since he says it can't be done.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Sal, Welcome to thei IAP.

Be sure to check out the Northern/Central California "local chapter". We just had a great gathering today and will be having another one in a few months. In the meantime you are close to other IAP members in San Jose, Livermore, Pleasanton, etc.

I Hope you meet you soon!
GK

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sal,
Welcome to IAP and Pen Turning. And Congrats on the TBC. It has been hard getting new people to understand and accept the simplicity, speed and accuracy of TBC until they have gone through all kinds of alignment problems. Mandrels hold some people like the Stockholm syndrome! :rolleyes:

Post some picts of your work and join in the fun here!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Last edited:
Hey Sal,
That is a nice pen... you are right, the TBC method is a great way to go... I just started doing between centers about 3 months or so... been turning pens for about 8 years, but now doing other things... favorite is turning pepper mills.

Welcome to the group... glad to have you aboard....I see you are a resident of San Mateo... I lived in the subdivision off Hillsdale between El Camino and 101 for a few years... First wife and I bought first home in there. Then moved across the freeway into Foster City until the marriage ended... then I moved to Novato for a year, then back to Sunnyvale for a year... then gave it up and moved home to Texas until I retired, then moved to TN. I went to school up at CSM for a couple of years and earned my AA in business from there.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Sal. I'm down yon in southern CA. Sun's finally shining.

That's a nice looking pen! Pretty cool to harvest your own wood like that, huh? Nice oak.

Top Bottom