Greetings from Northern Illinois

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Allsmiles

Hello everyone,

Being from Illinois, the state that just raised our income tax by 67%, I had to find a hobby that calmed me down.

The truth is, while visiting my daughter in Kansas, I went into a art deco store, and there in a display case was one of the most beautiful pens I had ever seen. The sales lady informed me that the pen was made by a local artist. From that moment, I wanted to learn how to make a pen.

After lots of reading, especially from the IAP site, I finally turned my first pen last week. Even with all the imperfections I was thrilled. My son and daughter (age 21 & 24) were so excited, they too turned a pen. How gratifying that the whole family is taking joy in this new hobby.

I already have several questions that I could not find on a previous post, but for now, I'm glad to have found a great supportive group.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Allsmiles

Hi Jim,

I live in Gurnee and my wife grew up in Skokie, so I know your old stomping grounds well. Except for the weather, it's a great place to live.

Thanks Jim

steeler fan1

Welcome Tom. I feel and share your pain, I live in DeKalb. There is getting to be quite a few of us in these parts. Perhaps we should try to organize a get together some time.

Carl

Allsmiles

Thanks Carl,

My son goes to NIU and one of my best friends lives in Dekalb also. Let's stay in touch.

Bears or Pittsburgh fan?

Tom

Atherton Pens

Welcome from Georgia.
I hope you will enjoy and participate with our group here. There's lots of info and folks willing to help.
Be careful though, this stuff is addicting!

louie68

Greeting's Tom feel free to ask any question's here there is quite of bit learning to be had!!!
I started turning last yr.2010 Jan. and now im casting & mixing color using resin along with all types of wood turning pens.
Go Chicago BEARS !!!!

JohnU

Welcome from LaSalle County IL. Its great to see more Illinois pen turners. I was beginning to think I needed to move to Texas. lol

ctubbs

Tom, welcome from west Kentucky. I see you have been reading back posts, but have you tried out the library yet? The link is in the upper right of the page and there you will find a treasure of info on just about anything pen turning there is. Enjoy the addiction, make some shavings and post pictures. No photos, didn't happen.
Charles

alphageek

Former Moderator
Welcome to the IAP... Check out the Wisconsin local chapter... You are more than welcome to cross the border to the north and join our meetings in MKE. (Heck, our sales tax is lower too, so since the meeting is at woodcraft you can save money by coming up! LOL)

steeler fan1

Thanks Carl,

My son goes to NIU and one of my best friends lives in Dekalb also. Let's stay in touch.

Bears or Pittsburgh fan?

Tom

Hi Tom,
I'm retired from NIU, lived in this area since late '60's. But - born and raised in Steeler country, its in the blood.:biggrin:

Carl

Sawdust46

Welcome from an old Illinois Sucker born in Poeria but I've been in Texas the 30+ years. I see you're a Blackhawk fan. Did they recently play the Dallas Stars.......

Allsmiles

WOW! Thanks everyone for the warm response.

Sawdust 46, yes the Hawks played the Stars a few weeks back. I was lucky enough to be at the game.

Top Bottom