Gotta Love Free Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

No matter how small the quantity , free wood is greeeeeat.

A couple days ago at the coffee shop one of the regulars said he had some pieces of maple firewood that he thought would not be split in very far from the ends even though it was 4 or 5 years old.
I picked it up on my way home . It was three pieces split from a larger round piece. After running it through the band saw to square it up I got three nice pieces. The piece on the far left is half of what I turned the box from and enough to make one more . The one in the middle will also yield two boxes. The one on the right will probably be used for a nice tall vase. .

I was quite pleased to find it was only cracked in about an inch from each end. Must have been cut in the fall or winter when it was not soaking wet with sap.

He said he has some round pieces from the same tree if this turned out OK so I will certainly be checking that out.

This box is going to him in appreciation of the wood and will be presented when we meet at the coffee shop next time.

MapleBox1.jpg

MapleBox2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Thanks all for the nice replys.

Here is what I made this afternoon out of the piece on the right side.
Nine inch maple vase. .
There is a glass tube in the center for water for live flowers.
NineInchMapleVase.jpg

W.Y.

This my final photo in this particular thread. I just finished off what could be made from those three pieces of wood. Got three more lidded boxes out of it.

MapleBox4.jpg

MapleBox5jpg.jpg

Total of 4 boxes and one vase .
Not bad for three little sticks of firewood and a little turning and no hardware to have to buy to complete them .
Those will go soon at craft sales for $120.00 calculated as 4 boxes @ $20.00 each and one vase @40.000

bitshird

Bill, has any one ever accused you of being an over achiever ? That's a lot of real nice work done in a short time, the vase is beautiful, and the boxes are great, and I got tired just thinking about your work.

W.Y.

Bill, has any one ever accused you of being an over achiever ? That's a lot of real nice work done in a short time, the vase is beautiful, and the boxes are great, and I got tired just thinking about your work.

Yes Ken, I have been accused of that many times but it doesn't bother me :biggrin: :tongue: .

Getting a bunch of stuff made for Nov and Dec Craft sales but the way it has been selling so good I know I will never catch up and I will still be way down in stock for the last one or two sales of the year .

Top Bottom