Gorilla glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Got I quick question. Does the clear version of gorilla glue foam and expand like the regular version?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I find gorilla glue's branding to be super confusing. According to their website "Clear" does not foam, but I've never used it. I use "White", which I think is comparable to "Original" but cures as a white color foam. "Clear" is something totally different (based on safety datasheet info).

TonyL

I did no know which type of GG, but I stay away from the one that requires moistening the surfaces (at east for gluing tubes). Never tried it though; it may be fine.

philipff

I have used GG for 10 years and prefer the original. It foams and needs moisture and it sticks the tube to the wood or acrylic like no tomorrow. Zero failures in all this time. The clear is much slower to cure. -- -my 2 cents. P.

monophoto

The problem with this question is that while 'Gorilla Glue' originally was a specific brand of polyurethane glue, today the product line has been expanded to include various polyurethane adhesives, CA glues, PVA glues, two-part epoxies, craft glues, spray adhesives, school glues, construction adhesives, hot-melt glues, and even glue sticks for office use. So just saying 'Gorilla Glue' does really specify which glue the question refers to.

Dehn0045

@monophoto I don't understand why they went with the current naming convention, especially considering Gorilla Glue was originally a single formulation. I think most reasonable people will assume that Original, Clear and White are slightly different variations of the same glue -- but in reality Clear is very different. I think when most people refer to Gorilla Glue they are talking about "Original", but the first time I tried it I went with "White" while thinking that I was buying the GG that everyone else was talking about. It wasn't until my bottle ran out that I realized my mistake (serendipitously I ended up liking the White and have stuck with it).

Dieseldoc

@monophoto I don't understand why they went with the current naming convention, especially considering Gorilla Glue was originally a single formulation. I think most reasonable people will assume that Original, Clear and White are slightly different variations of the same glue -- but in reality Clear is very different. I think when most people refer to Gorilla Glue they are talking about "Original", but the first time I tried it I went with "White" while thinking that I was buying the GG that everyone else was talking about. It wasn't until my bottle ran out that I realized my mistake (serendipitously I ended up liking the White and have stuck with it).
Clear is something you also may want to try. Great for pen work. Keeps tube tight never lost one with it. I just take a Quip Tip wet it, in and out of blank, install glued tube. Super easy clean up.

Dehn0045

Clear is great. You can dye it with alumilite dyes or mica powders for those blanks that need it.

Thanks for this bit of info. I have been playing around with inlays with the earrings that I have been making. I have had success flooding turquoise with CA, but tried with Pearl-EX and it didnt work so well. I figured 2-part epoxy would work, but seemed like a lot of effort for small projects. Going to give the gorilla clear a shot.

Top Bottom