Golden Amboyna

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I am curious...have any of you guys used golden amboyna (as opposed to red)?

I am checking the prices and seems like golden is actually more expensive than the red one. Is the price the reason why I hardly see any pen made out of it or is it something else?

I personally prefer red and will probably buy it even if it is more expensive than the golden variety.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Larry,

Golden Amboyna (as opposed to red) is another species of amboyna...not just a sapwood. The sapwood does look similar to it though. [:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dario,

You posted while I was looking for a reference. This is a snippet from what I found, which is in line with what you just posted.

Pterocarpus indicus is the botanical name for a tree that has inspired a wide variety of names and has been used in a wide variety of applications. In the United States, the tree is usually called narra and sometimes further delineated as red narra or yellow narra.

The narra that grows in southern and southeastern Asia is called Solomons padauk or Papua New Guinea rosewood. Narra also grows extensively in the Philippines, Borneo, New Guinea, Cagayan, Mindoro, Palawan, Cotabato and the Malay Archipelago. Its Malayan name is angsana. Narra has also been called kiabooco, meaning "twisted wood." When in the burl form, narra’s wood is usually referred to as amboyna burl â€" that name coming from Amboyna Island, another place the trees can be found. "The Fine Hardwoods Selectorama" lists the primary countries of origin for narra as the Dutch East Indies and Philippines.

Woodnknots

Speaking of Amboyna. Is 1.11/oz a good price? My local woodcraft has some nice pieces of Amboyna, and of Afzelia burl. The afzelia is going for about 1.20/oz. I almost bought a big hunk of the afzelia, but thought I'd better get a second opinion on the cost first. It was on a sort of clearance rack, I think.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Most of the stuff sold as golden amboyna is actually maidou. It's another gorgeous burl and not seen nearly as frequently as amboyna/narra. Here's a quote from Gilmer Woods. http://www.gilmerwood.com/photo_html2005/01-18-05sp434.htm "Maidou is from the Pterocarpus or Padouk family of woods and is related to Amboyna Burl but has a more golden color and is not quite as hard."

Dave--$15-20 a pound retail is about right for either amboyna or afzelia with good figure.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />Speaking of Amboyna. Is 1.11/oz a good price? My local woodcraft has some nice pieces of Amboyna, and of Afzelia burl. The afzelia is going for about 1.20/oz. I almost bought a big hunk of the afzelia, but thought I'd better get a second opinion on the cost first. It was on a sort of clearance rack, I think.

Sounds good considering that a pen blank won't weigh two ounces.

Dario

From my samples....a jumbo amboyna pen blank may weigh 2.5 oz and a regular 3/4" may just weigh 1.5 oz.

I say that is a very good price. If the quality is good, grab as much as you can!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />Speaking of Amboyna. Is 1.11/oz a good price? My local woodcraft has some nice pieces of Amboyna, and of Afzelia burl. The afzelia is going for about 1.20/oz. I almost bought a big hunk of the afzelia, but thought I'd better get a second opinion on the cost first. It was on a sort of clearance rack, I think.

Sounds good considering that a pen blank won't weigh two ounces.

Bad news, Frank. They make you pay for the part you're going to DRILL OUT!!! It's a conspiracy[:0][:0][:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom