Golden Amboyna Burl Pen - Finally Feel Like I've Figured Out CA Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

It has taken 250+ pens, but I finally feel like I have the CA finish technique perfected. I almost gave up on CA finishing but this forum helped me keep at it.

For anyone struggling with CA, keep with it and practise. The final product is worth it.

Here is a Golden Amboyna Burl Pen I created last night:

IMG_2754.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG
IMG_2753.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_2751.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

Some simple tricks that help me get flawless results everytime.

1. Use foam to apply the CA, and I also apply the CA while turning the lathe by hand. I personally feel that if the lathe is spinning even at the slowest of speeds it can introduce air into the CA fininsh. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Foamies-Foam-Sheets-Value-Pack-40-Sheets-6-x-9-inches/37727262
2. Apply two coats of thin first, followed by 4 coats of thick.
3. If you use activator spray it from about 2 feet with a mist to prevent it from curing two fast and causing bubbles.
4. Wet sand with 320 to get any pits out, then move up the grits to about 800.
5. Finally hit it with a plastic polish.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Practice works! Once I mastered the CA, Then I had to learn to master the allergies that came with it 2 years later. If you don't use a face mask of some sort of dust collection, keep an open mind. Another thing, huge humidity swings with temp changes can change the way/timing that CA cures.

BEAUTIFUL work! A beautiful finish like that will double the price of the pen. AND you took Great Photos too!

1shootist

Thank you for posting what you've come up with ! I'm definitely buying a pack of foam sheets. I've tried other ways to apply the ca but never would have considered foam sheets. Brilliant !

Top Bottom