Glue for segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I stopped using metal altogether for that reason. I've seen very few people have consistent success with it especially using it with angled cuts. Good luck with that one. I'm sure you know this but some others may not. To help reduce the risk of blowouts when's drilling a pen blank with scallops, drill thru the scallop end first.
Yes I do know that and it is a good tip. I use metal all the time and have shown many pens here with mostly aluminum inserts and have had no problems since I switched to using System3 T88 epoxy glue for my glueups. I need to revisit that scalloped pen idea I had because it was ambitious design. Would be interesting to see if I can succeed. I have a blank sitting on the bench that has alot of aluminum in with very small pieces of acrylic. I am a little scared of that one. The drilling for tube has me on edge with that one. Not sure how I want to handle it. May try the wrapping in gauze trick or I am working on another trick but never been tried so still thinking that through. I need to find a kit that is one tube but long enough to incorporate the design so it fits uniform on the tube. Need to get that one too.

Last edited:

michaelperez

Yes I do know that and it is a good tip. I use metal all the time and have shown many pens here with mostly aluminum inserts and have had no problems since I switched to using System3 T88 epoxy glue for my glueups. Iy small pieces of acrylic. I am a little scared of that one. I need to find a kit that is one tube but long enough to incorporate the desin so it fits uniform on the tube. Need to get that one too.
I like to work with only wood of different colors, but last time i was thinking in adding some brass or aluminum to add a touch but I gave up that idea because I was afraid that it could stain the wood, but I see your pen is pristine and you are using a white wood. How you do that?
I have a pen in purple heart and I realized some darken like dirty in the finishing and it was because of sanding, no matter how much I tried, so in the last ones that i made I used many colors including purple heart (showed in my pictures) I decided to use a very sharp skew instead of sanding but then it left a very smooth and shiny surface and maybe it's more recommended to use the skew as a scraper so it leaves still a smooth surface but with better gripping for CA glue, so I did it that way skew, CA and Micro mesh and it turned well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom