jtate

Christmaspresents2007036.jpg

Christmaspresents2007034.jpg

Hand-rubbed lacquer finish on mahogany.

Comments? Critiques are welcome.

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

Well, this is my first effort at a sort of hollow form. I couldn't find a way to get my sanding stuff inside there to get a good surface. I did some sanding by hand but not much. I put a little lacquer in the inside but I'm not happy with the inside. There's always more to learn and I hope to do better on the next one.

Anyone with any hints on how to sand the inside of hollow forms?

KenV

That one looks like forceps and sanding paper. I sometimes use shaped forms in the forceps to hold the sandpaper. The other way is to leave the bottom open and glue in a plug after turning and sanding the inside.

Fred

Yep, by far the fastest and easiest way to do the inside is to cut off the bottom using very sharp cutting tool and do the inside. Then reorient the bottom to match the grain and glue it back on ... Then finisdh turning the outside and finish it a well. That way you stand a very good chance of hiding the cut you made when removing the bottom.

One hint though ... Be sure and NOT get any finish on the cut edges as that tends to make for a dark line when cluing it back together. Just take your time and be careful.

BTW, very nice hollow form and the finish is also very well applied. What are the dimensions of the piece? :D

jtate

Thanks for the compliments! The finish is lacquer. I brushed it on and let it dry overnight then hand sanded at 500, 600, 1000, then micromeshed 1500 - 12000. I waited a day (to let it offgas some more) then brushed another layer of lacquer on it. After another day of drying I did the sanding routin again.

It was tedious but a good way to occupy my hands while watching TV. You know, idles hands are the devil's workshop.

I think the jar is about 8 inches high without the lid and about 4 inches wide, but I didn't measure it before I gave it away. I'll call the lucky recipient and ask her to measure it when she gets back from a New Years trip. She really liked it - she said it reminded her of the Venus of Willendorf

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/willendorf/willendorfdiscovery.html

Top Bottom