Genuine Lignum Vitae Pen and Pencil Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and Thank You to everyone that commented on my Thursday thread regarding working with Genuine Lignum Vitae. I had the opportunity to review them and to turn the pen and pencil set this afternoon (Saturday). The wood was salvaged from spare Aft Tube (propeller shaft) bearings of the MV Doulos Phos, which I've read was the world's oldest active ocean-faring passenger ship until it was decommissioned in December 2009 after 95 years of active service. I paired them with PSI's EDC DuraClick Pen and Pencil kits in their Burnt Bronze Aluminum finish and finished them with three coats of HUT Crystal Coat instead of using my typical CA regimen.

I intended them to be a "Technical-Mechanical" pen and pencil set, thus the mechanical nature of the Lignum Vitae and the anodized aluminum finish and style of the EDC DuraClick kits with their knurled parts. I will be buying more of the kits, or similar kits that use the same Schmidt click mechanism - it is amazingly quiet and smooth. My only complaint is that one of my blanks had a black streak running nearly the entire length of the blank that almost looks like a crack. Whatever it is, it was in the blank before I started. Even so, I think they have met my expectations for a Technical-Mechanical type of set.

To continue with the Technical-Mechanical theme I am planning on ordering one of the PSI Aluminum pen cases and modifying the insert it to hold both of them. Comments welcome.

Regards,
Dave

PS That Lignum Vitae sure had a strong and interesting odor when I was working it.

Here they are (The Pen is laying on the blank cutoff and the Pencil is standing in front):
IMG_1506 Cropped.jpg

And my traditional three views as they were rotated:
IMG_1502 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1503 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1504 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Nice. I really like that burnt bronze anodized kit. The one I made recently looks very military like. The highly figured olive looks like desert camo with olive khaki colored metal trim.

I haven't worked with genuine Lignam Vitae, so I'm not familiar with the smell, but I really like the smell of the Argentine "version".

egnald

Nice. I really like that burnt bronze anodized kit. The one I made recently looks very military like. The highly figured olive looks like desert camo with olive khaki colored metal trim.
Thanks. I really like the burnt bronze as well. I just ordered another pen and pencil set from PSI. I have some Golden Camphor Burl from Laos that I think would look fantastic with these kits. I would have bought more but the PSI order used up the rest of my allowance so I'm broke for the next two weeks! - Dave

sorcerertd

Thanks. I really like the burnt bronze as well. I just ordered another pen and pencil set from PSI. I have some Golden Camphor Burl from Laos that I think would look fantastic with these kits. I would have bought more but the PSI order used up the rest of my allowance so I'm broke for the next two weeks! - Dave
Haha, yes... they can eat up the budget really fast! At least they have that sale going right now. I just did a couple large orders from PSI and EB, so I'm trying to resist.

Hubert H

The wood and the pen go together like hand and glove! Very NICE and I like the fact you didn't go with a gloss.

Top Bottom