General 25-200

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywood1207

Does anybody have any info on the new General 25-200 lathe either good bad or indifferent? I have read what I can find on it but am looking for either some personal experience or other comments about it you might have heard from somebody that has one or has used one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pmpartain

I have one. The headstock and tailstock lined up well. It is much smoother running that the Craftsman I was using. I like the speed control. Had a few problems. They pack a set of safety glasses on the box. Mine came with two right side ear pieces! I was also missing the instructions. The speed controller has a manufacturing defect(I think). They are very helpful in taking care of the issues. I am supposed to get a new speed controller by the end of next week. I got to use the thing maybe 3 or 4 hours before the speed control went bad. Was petty cool that I had a lathe turning over 6,000 maybe 8,000 rpm tho. I think most of the problems are associated with a new product startup. I think the basic lathe is good and look forward to having the problems taken care of.

Woodlvr

Who is selling the General? Woodcraft? My Woodcraft in Salt Lake City does not have them in as of yet. Thanks. [:D]

Mike

aksarben

I am getting mine from Woodsmith in Iowa, Redmond Tools also carries them. I had a hard time finding them online and most WoodCrafts do not seem to stock them.

I called Woodcraft and asked about them. They told me that General require that they buy $3000 of equipment at a time while most other supplies only require $1500. They said this price point makes it difficult for them to place orders.

Scott

Woodlvr

Thanks, Scott. That makes sense. I worked at our local Woodcraft and we stopped carrying General altogether because of that reason, but something happened between them and Woodcraft and now Utah has some of the General equipment back.

aksarben

Well, I have had my General 25-200 for about a week now.

What I like it how quiet is is, it also runs very smooth. It was easy to unpack and there was not much to the setup. The headstock, tailstock and banjo are all on the unit. You only have to screw on the plate on the back and degrease the unit. This lathe is so quiet I can hear the radio, my old tube lathe drowned out everything.

I started using it to finish a few more Christmas pens. Problem is that the unit kept shutting down. The lathe stops and the display says SAFE, it would happen every now and then. I called General and they said that the controller board is bad and I will have a new one in a couple of weeks. It sucks but I am still able to turn, it shuts down, I unplug the unit and vac or clean the area for a min or two and then plug it in again and I am good for 15-60 mins.

The controller thing is bothersome but not a show stopper yet. If it took longer the 2 min to reset it would be bad. Otherwise I am very pleased with the lathe.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom