Gab-bag of Aspiring Pen Turner Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PWKerns

Hello! I really enjoy fountain pens, have some experience with both wood turning and machining, and would like to make acrylic kitless fountain pens in the future. I'm doing my research currently to price out exactly what I would need to get started.

Big question - Wood vs. Metal lathe? - Currently my thoughts are metal lathe for precision, especially with all the threading on kitless fountain pens, with an added tool rest to do some hand turning of the pen as well. I have zero interest in turning wood pens but some interest in turning metal pens.

Other questions - where to buy good nib/feeds? So far I've found meisternibs, which seems like a great option. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Also, I've been wondering how to add hardware on kitless pens - do most people sandwich rings between threaded sections of the pen or can you actually glue metal into the acrylic blank and turn it all together? Where do you guys buy your hardware for kitless pens?

Thanks for the advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Since you seem comfortable with a metal lathe, I'd think that's the way to go. You can do wood pens on a metal lathe, so why not start where you want to spend your most time.

Not all acrylic is a good candidate for kitless. PR, and I think AA don't thread well. Alumilite threads great, along with cebloplast. Then you can get into ebonite, and celluloid and other materials.

Taps & dies.
Silver Pen Parts
Victor Machinery

darrin1200

Absolutely, a metal lathe. I am in the market now.

FP nibs Meisternibs - Blog

As was mentioned earlier, not all acrylics are created equal. But you can also use wood, bone, antler, stone ........ When threading is an issue, make an insert using a threadable material.

I have been working with alluminum rings glued onto acrylic tenons and then turned together. My problem is the rings, because it is difficult to get little 1mm metal rings using a woodlathe. I have turned to sheet alluminum and brass to make the rings. I will be posting a couple, hopefully tonight, that I have recently finished.

Good luck to you.

Top Bottom