Fusion 360 help needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I'm looking for a Fusion 3D model for Fountain Pen nib triples. If you are willing to share or point me to a location to search, it would be most appreciated.

Also, is there a way to add special threads other than the ones in the default pick list?

E9757F1C-00A1-4D86-9E54-7D65621C96E2.jpeg

Thanks,

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Hi Danny,
I made a Fusion drawing of a Bock #5 triple some time ago based on the drawing from Beaufort Ink, I'll see if I can export it and send to you. I doubt my drawing is very accurate but happy to share if you want to see it. I think I recall watching a video (probably youtube) awhile ago showing how to Fusion model the business end of a fountain pen.

Yes, you can do custom threads in Fusion; there are a couple of ways to do it. Fusion keeps thread data in a separate thread data file, and you can modify it to add your own custom specs. If you are on mac, I can help you find it; if you use Windows I don't know where it would be. Another way to do custom threads is to actually model a thread using the coil function in Fusion. I haven't done this but I've seen some you tube videos on how to do it. Do a search on the Fusion website and you can probably find more info on both methods as well as the actual location of the thread data file if you use Windows. Modifying the thread data file method can be a PITA because every time Fusion updates itself (which is pretty often), it uses a new thread data file. It doesn't lose the old, modified version, it just doesn't use it unless you move it in your directory structure to where the updated Fusion wants to find it.

Jarod888

I'm not sure it would help, but I have a drafting book that shows how to draw triple start threads correctly from a drafting perspective. I can scan the pages and send them to you if you want.

eharri446

If you contact Beaufort Ink they will send you the drawings for the Bock housings and sections. I had asked them for permission to add them to the library and they said that they would prefer each individual to contact them instead.

Penultimate

Dan
You might be able to model threads using a transverse sketch of the thread geometry and making it follow a spiral of the appropriate pitch. For #5 nibs I just use a fine thread 1/4" thread. Close enough for me.

How did you export the rendering?

Penultimate

Hi
Here is a rendering of my Bash submission. sorry for the axis artifacts can't figure out how to turn this one off. And, I cut off the end. I tried to attach my number 5 Schmidt nib as an .STL but can't attach a file.
FP18A  assembly v6.png

More4dan

Hi
Here is a rendering of my Bash submission. sorry for the axis artifacts can't figure out how to turn this one off. And, I cut off the end. I tried to attach my number 5 Schmidt nib as an .STL but can't attach a file.
View attachment 239258

VERY NICE! It looks like the sketches are still turned on, could be the issue with the planes showing. They should turn off in the Render section. Click on the "DESIGN" button in upper left corner and go down to RENDER.

In Render there is an option under the "IN-CANVAS RENDER" option to Capture an image to export the picture.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

Dan
You might be able to model threads using a transverse sketch of the thread geometry and making it follow a spiral of the appropriate pitch. For #5 nibs I just use a fine thread 1/4" thread. Close enough for me.

How did you export the rendering?

I found a YouTube Video that shows how to use the COIL feature to make threads. It already has a thread cross section in it, well a triangle, close enough.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom